India, Pak to open Kashmir trade today after 60 yearsOctober 21st, 2008 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
Mirpur, Oct 21 (ANI): India and Pakistan are due to open cross border trade from today. Truck loads of commodities from both the countries will cross the Line of Control (LoC) dividing Kashmir . It is being described as yet another confidence building measure between the two neighbours.
The decision to allow limited trade, taken only last month, symbolises attempts to solve the Kashmir dispute by creating soft borders allowing free movement of goods and people.
On Tuesday, 15 trucks with specified gift items would leave from each side to cross the LoC through the two designated routes.
While the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route will become functional on Tuesday, there will only be a symbolic launch on the second route between Poonch and Rawalakot, which would formally open for trade on October 30, reported the Daily Times.
Under the agreement, trucks will cross the LoC at the two designated points twice a week, and no customs duty would be imposed on the traded goods. The traders on both sides would be conducting business through barter, as no banking facility has been established for the purpose so far.
A total of 21 items have been approved for import and export by the Joint Working Group of India and Pakistan , while two facilitation centres on either side of the LoC have been established to regulate trade.
The Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route, in disuse for the last six decades, was the regions only surface link with the rest of the world before the partition. The route also makes business sense, as it is all-weather and shorter than the only road coming from India , which snakes through the Hindu-majority Jammu region and is often blocked by snow in winter. (ANI)
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- India, Pakistan open Cross-LoC trade after 60 years - Oct 21, 2008
- Trade across Line of Control picking up - Mar 23, 2010
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Kashmiris threaten to suspend border trade with Pakistan - Jan 19, 2010
- India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks Tuesday - Jul 25, 2011
- 'LoC route being misused by big India, Pakistani traders' - Oct 21, 2010
- Kashmir unrest partially suspends Indo-Pak trade - Jul 25, 2010
- Pakistani traders want to boost trade with India - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,