India, Pak get set to liberalise visa regimeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
Under the present visa regime, there is no tourist visa category, he added.
“But we have been liberal in issuing visas and our policy actually outstrips the visa agreement,” The News quoted Vohra, as saying.
At present, the only categories that exist are that of visitor visas, which are given to members of divided families and visas to pilgrims in additional to the usual business, diplomatic and government visas.
“We have very powerful reasons to liberalize the visa regime,” said Vohra, adding, “The people want it.”
In 2006, over 100,000 visas were issued to Pakistan nationals. In 2007, the number, the Indian diplomat claimed, had exceeded 90,000 by October.
He also said that dual nationals would need to apply on their Pakistani passports if they still carry them.
Commenting on the issue of re-opening of the Indian Consulate General in Karachi, Vohra said that so far there had been no progress because there was no further development on the opening of a Pakistan Consulate General in Mumbai.
“We have managed to get a piece of land for them, but there is some problem with the access to that piece of land and this is causing a delay. As it is, we would recommend that they look at private arrangements to secure land or even rent a place as construction of a consulate will take time,” he said.
Vohra, however, clarified that Jinnah House in Mumbai had been turned into a SAARC cultural centre “as Jinnah was a South Asian citizen.” (ANI)
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani elders to get visas on arrival (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- India, Pakistan defer signing of visa pact, discuss 26/11 (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- India, Pakistan likely to sign visa pact Saturday - Sep 07, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- US to issue 14 percent more visas for Indians - Jan 27, 2012
- India, Pakistan set to sign liberal visa pact - May 23, 2012
- Visa pact to be signed Saturday, will benefit common people: Rehman Malik (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Pakistan media gives a thumbs up to Krishna's visit (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani parliamentarians push for easing visa regime - Aug 19, 2011
- India, Pakistan top diplomats to meet June 29, visa accord soon (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- India disappointed as visa pact with Pakistan deferred (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- India to reopen consulate in Karachi - Mar 14, 2012
- Maharastra minister calls for easing India-Pakistan visa regime - May 25, 2012
- India, Pakistan ink visa pact to ease travel, trade (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: dual nationals, further development, indian diplomat, jinnah, karachi, mumbai, pakistan, passports, piece of land, pilgrims, private arrangements, saarc, south asian, tourist visa, visa category, visa regime, visitor visas, would recommend that