India may get Russian nuke submarine on lease this fallAugust 20th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by ANI
Komsomolsk-on-Amur (Russia), Aug.20 (ANI): The Russian K-152 Nerpa nuclear attack submarine, which is currently carrying out workup trials in the Russian Far East, will be transferred to India on a 10-year lease in the fall, a spokesman for the Amur Shipbuilding Plant said Friday.
According to a Ria Novosti report, the workup includes a training program for the Indian crew to ensure they can operate the submarine’s systems.
The lease contract, estimated at some 900 million dollars, was drawn up following an agreement between Moscow and New Delhi in January 2004, in which India agreed to fund part of the Nerpa’s construction.
The Nerpa was scheduled to be introduced into the Indian Navy as INS Chakra by mid-2008 but technical problems stalled the process.
Twenty sailors and technical workers were killed onboard the submarine shortly after the start of sea trials in November 2008, due to a toxic gas leak when the automatic fire extinguishing system malfunctioned. The boat is now fully operational following repairs. (ANI)
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India by October - Mar 16, 2011
- Russia hands over Nerpa nuclear submarine to India - Jan 23, 2012
- Sea trials of n-sub for India begin in Russia - Aug 20, 2010
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine in March - Oct 01, 2010
- Russian n-submarine meant for India passes final trials - Dec 28, 2009
- Russian nuclear sub ready for India transfer - Dec 28, 2011
- Indian Navy personnel to join Russian nuke sub trials - Sep 04, 2009
- Russia to lease n-submarine to India in November - Oct 04, 2011
- Crew member caused fire on Russian nuclear submarine - Nov 13, 2008
- India to get 'gas leak' Russian nuclear submarine in March 2011 - Oct 01, 2010
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: amur, automatic fire, chakra, indian crew, indian navy, ins, komsomolsk, lease contract, million dollars, moscow, nerpa, New Delhi, nuclear attack submarine, ria novosti, russian far east, sailors, sea trials, shipbuilding plant, spokesman, toxic gas leak