India lose to New Zealand in Azlan Shah hockeyMay 9th, 2008 - 7:15 am ICT by admin
Ipoh (Malaysia), May 8 (IANS) India started their campaign at the Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament on a losing note, going down 3-4 to New Zealand here Thursday. Drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, who made a comeback to the national side, scored a hat-trick converting three penalty corners, but his efforts went in vain.
India made a good start to the match and were leading 2-0 in the first half with Sandeep finding the net twice.
However, the resilient Kiwis came from behind and scored twice before going into the breather. They struck two more goals in the second half to pocket full points.
Andrew Hayward, Simon Child, Phillip Burrows and Gareth Brooks were the goal scorers for New Zealand.
Hayward first reduced the margin for the Kiwis through a penalty corner and then Child deflected home a pass to equalize.
In the second half, the Kiwis came out with more purpose and attacked the Indian goal from the start. They were rewarded soon as Philip and Brooks slammed back-to-back goals.
Sandeep got one back for India converting his third penalty corner of the day.
The Indians tried hard to equalise but could not breach the Kiwi defence.
- Olympics hockey: India suffer another reverse, lose 1-3 to Kiwis - Aug 01, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India stun Britain to clinch bronze - Jun 03, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Pakistan beat India 3-1 - May 11, 2011
- Asian Games hockey: India beat Pakistan, reach semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Asian Games hockey: India pummel Bangladesh 9-0 (Lead) - Nov 17, 2010
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012