India is third largest buyer of US armsDecember 8th, 2011 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 8 (IANS) India has emerged as the third largest purchaser of US arms with contracts worth $4.5 billion last year alone as US weapons sales rose to $34.8 billion in fiscal 2011, according to a Pentagon report.
The Defence Security Cooperation Agency, the Pentagon agency that oversees foreign arms sales, said sales in the fiscal that ended Sep 30 topped $30 billion for the fourth consecutive year after reaching $31.6 billion in fiscal 2010.
The Pentagon said government-to-government foreign military sales totalled $28.3 billion in fiscal 2011, while other sales managed by various government agencies reached $6.5 billion. The Pentagon had projected government-to-government sales would reach $36.3 billion for the year ending Sep 30.
Afghanistan, Taiwan, India, Australia and Saudi Arabia were the top buyers of US arms last year, the Defence Department said. Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Israel, Japan and Sweden were the next largest buyers.
The top ten FMS customers for fiscal 2011 were the Afghan Security Forces ($5.4 billion); Taiwan (US $4.9 billion); India ($4.5 billion); Australia ($3.9 billion); Saudi Arabia ($3.5 billion); Iraq ($2.0 billion); the United Arab Emirates ($1.5 billion); Israel ($1.4 billion); Japan ($0.5 billion); and Sweden ($0.5 billion).
The DSCA said it expected foreign military sales were expected to continue to be about $30 billion for fiscal 2012, but official projections were still being calculated.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Worldwide weapons sales fell in 2010: Report - Sep 24, 2011
- US, Saudi Arabia sign warplanes deal worth $29 bn - Dec 30, 2011
- US' 'mother of all' 60 billion dollar arms deal with Saudi Arabia - Sep 14, 2010
- IAF requests US for 6 more C-130J airlifters - Oct 28, 2011
- Aerospace, defence business sluggish in 2011: Study - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia may sell helicopters to Saudi Arabia - Nov 14, 2011
- Olympics: Latest medals tally - Aug 08, 2012
- Asian Games medals tally, Day 12 - Nov 24, 2010
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
- 17 percent hike in India's defence spending (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- No impact of uncertainty on IT business: Premji (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- UAE's non-oil trade increases to AED 63 bn; India top trade partner - May 16, 2010
- Asian Games medals tally, day 10 - Nov 22, 2010
- India's exports rise by 3.23 percent in April - Jun 01, 2012
- PMEAC lowers 2012-13 GDP forecast to 6.7 percent - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, asian news, cooperation agency, defence department, dsca, fms customers, foreign military sales, fourth consecutive year, government sales, india australia, indo, pentagon, pentagon report, purchaser, saudi arabia, security cooperation, security forces, united arab emirates, vm, weapons sales