India-Iran should have close ties: Ahmadinejad (Lead)May 18th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 18 (IANS) Contemporary world situation calls for close cooperation between India and Iran, Iranian President Mahmdoud Ahmadinejad said Tuesday, adding both countries “should not neglect the present opportunities to replace the dying big powers”.
Iran and India should stay together because of their cultural ties as well as the situation in the region and the world, he told Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna here on the sidelines of the G-15 meet.
All these call for close cooperation between the two countries, the president said.
“Iran and India should build upon their common views in building up new systems for the future of the world,” the president said.
Both the countries “should not neglect the present opportunities to replace the dying big powers”, he was quoted as saying by the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA).
Closer ties between Iran and India will benefit other countries as well because Tehran and New Delhi have always sought peace and security for the region and the world, he added.
The Indian minister said Iran and India were two developing countries which had to make the best of their potentials.
Describing the G-15 meeting as “successful and effective”, Krishna appreciated Iran’s efforts for successfully holding the event.
On Monday, Krishna met his Iranian counterpart Manouchehr Mottaki and discussed ways to enhance bilateral ties.
Ties between Tehran and New Delhi had come under a strain last year. India had stuck to its opposition of Iran’s nuclear weapons by voting for a resolution in the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), rapping Tehran for building a secret enrichment plant.
G-15, a forum of developing countries, now comprises 18 countries from Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Besides India and Iran, the other members are Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Jamaica, Mexico, Algeria, Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Indonesia, Malaysia and Sri Lanka.
- Ahmadinejad calls for closer India-Iran ties - May 18, 2010
- Iranian foreign minister sacked - Dec 13, 2010
- Krishna to represent India at G-15 Tehran meet - May 08, 2010
- India's growing economy gives good opportunity to boost ties: Iran - Mar 11, 2012
- India a global leader, says Ahamadinejad - May 18, 2010
- Ahmadinejad shows whose boss by sacking Iran's foreign minister - Dec 14, 2010
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Iran, North Korea call for expanded ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
- At G-15, India calls for reforming international economic order - May 18, 2010
- Unilateral sanctions shouldn't impact legitimate trade with Iran: India (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Krishna heads to Tehran; Afghanistan, pipeline on agenda - May 13, 2010
- G15 meeting begins in Tehran - May 15, 2010
- Iran fires foreign minister, appoints top nuclear chief - Dec 13, 2010
- Krishna arrives in Tehran on a four-day visit - May 16, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,