India into quarterfinals at Thomas Cup Asia Zone preliminariesFebruary 20th, 2008 - 10:38 pm ICT by admin
Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Feb 20 (IANS) India qualified for the quarterfinals of the Thomas Cup Asia Zone preliminaries after thrashing Pakistan 5-0 in the opening Group C encounter of the world team badminton event here Wednesday. Japan joined India in the last eight round as they too beat Pakistan 5-0 Tuesday. They will clash to decide group winners as a win would put them against the runners-up of Group A where Malaysia and Chinese-Taipei will be battling out.
A semi-final berth here will take India to the World group to be played in Jakarta from May 11-18.
The Indian shuttlers showed their prowess as they outplayed their neighbours in all departments of the game and registered straight games victories.
In the opening singles, Anup Sridhar just took half an hour to down Wajid Ali in straight sets 21-16, 21-15. Then country’s no. 1 doubles duo of Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas outclassed Rizwan Azam and Attique Muhammad 21-11, 21-9 in 20 minutes.
Arvind Bhat then came to the party to beat Umer Zeeshan 21-14, 21-11 in the second singles, while V. Diju and Akshay Dewalkar outplayed the pair of Waqas M. and Kashif Ahmad Sulehri 21-17, 21-14.
National Champion Chetan Anand rounded off the tie, beating Ahsan Qamar 21-10, 21-12 in a mere 16 minutes to give India a clean sweep.
India’s women’s team will open their campaign in the Uber Cup against Malaysia Thursday.
- Seven Indians qualify for main draw of India Open Super Series - Apr 26, 2011
- India Open badminton: Saina knocked out in prequarters (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- India in quarterfinals of Thomas, Uber Cups - May 11, 2010
- India lose to China in Sudirman Cup badminton - May 26, 2011
- CWG badminton: India win silver in mixed team event - Oct 08, 2010
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- India win in Uber Cup, lose in Thomas Cup - May 10, 2010
- India Open: Chetan advances to quarters, Jayaram falls short - Jun 10, 2010
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- Asian badminton: Ajay Jayaram goes down fighting - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian Open: Jayaram, Parupalli advance to second round - Apr 25, 2012
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim (Lead, adding results) - Jun 11, 2010
- CWG Badminton: India to face Canada in mixed team quarters - Oct 07, 2010
Tags: ahsan, akshay, asia zone, bhat, chi minh city, chinese taipei, cup asia, group winners, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, kashif, national champion, rupesh, shuttlers, sridhar, straight sets, thomas cup, uber cup, waqas, world group