India hands over Zaranj-Delaram highway to AfghanistanJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Delaram (South Afghanistan), Jan.22 (ANI): India on Thursday handed over the strategically located Zaranj-Delaram Highway to Afghanistan.
The 215-km-long highway was handed over to the Afghan authorities by visiting Indian External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the presence of Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Foreign Minister Rangeen Dadfar Spanta.
“Completion of the road reflects the determination of both India and Afghanistan that nothing can prevent or hinder collaboration between the two countries,” Mukherjee said at a function to mark the handover.
“The completion of the Rs.600 crore project is a message to those who want to stop cooperation between India and Afghanistan. “Our cooperation will not stop,” Karzai told reporters.
India agreed to take on the project inspite of stiff resistance from the Taliban. The militants launched frequent attacks on the construction workers in an attempt to force the winding up of the work. A total of six Indians, including a Border Roads Organisation driver and four ITBP soldiers, and 129 Afghans were killed in these attacks.
“Our project personnel did face many challenges in the implementation of the project… in effect one human sacrifice was made for every kilometre and a half constructed,” Mukherjee said, describing the completion of the project as “a glowing example” of the India-Afghanistan cooperation.
It will further regional cooperation by encouraging new trade and transit through Iranian ports and a supplementary access of Afghanistan to the sea, he said. (ANI)
- Defying Taliban, India hands over crucial highway to Afghanistan - Jan 22, 2009
- With Pakistan on mind, India, Afghanistan open crucial road (Lead) - Jan 23, 2009
- India reiterates long-term partnership with Afghanistan - Sep 15, 2011
- With Pakistan watching, India firming up big plans on Afghanistan - Nov 01, 2011
- Pakistan can't dictate ties with India: Afghan NSA - Sep 01, 2010
- India commits to capacity-building of Afghan armed forces (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Manmohan Singh will discuss post-Osama situation in Ksbul - May 11, 2011
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- India, Afghanistan reiterate commitment to maintain strategic partnership - Apr 26, 2010
- India committed to Afghanistan in its quest for peaceful, prosperous nation - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Shocked' Pak seeks clarification on Karzai's 'hitting terror sanctuaries' remarks - Jul 30, 2010
- Afghan foreign minister briefs Manmohan Singh on peace plan (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Terrorism greatest threat to peace in Asian region, says Nirupama Rao - Feb 22, 2010
- Afghanistan asks Pakistan to shut terror sanctuaries (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Karzai to discuss Indian mission bombing during visit - Aug 03, 2008
Tags: afghan president hamid karzai, afghans, border roads, construction workers, crore project, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, foreign minister, frequent attacks, hamid karzai, handover, human sacrifice, inspite, iranian ports, kilometre, militants, pranab mukherjee, president hamid karzai, regional cooperation, stiff resistance