India grouped with tough opponents in Asia Cup qualifiersJuly 3rd, 2008 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Doha, July 3 (IANS) India have been grouped with top continental sides United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Uzbekistan in Group C for the final qualifying round of the 2011 Asia Cup football tournament. Uzbekistan, at 55, is the highest FIFA ranked team in the group followed by UAE (106), India (153) and Malaysia (166).
The draw was made here Thursday at the Aspire Dome.
With UAE and Uzbekistan, who are on the home stretch of qualifying race for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, in the group, India’s chances of making the final round are tough.
But, India can still qualify for the Asia Cup, if they manage to win the AFC Challenge Cup they are hosting in the last week of this month or the one in 2010.
In the draw for the Asia Cup qualifiers, 20 teams were divided into five groups of four with the top two teams from each group qualifying for the tournament proper along with defending champions Iraq, runners-up Saudi Arabia, third-placed Korea, hosts Qatar and the champions of Challenge Cup 2008 and 2010.
Groupings for Asia Cup qualifier:
Group A: Japan, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Yemen
Group B: Australia, Indonesia, Oman, Kuwait
Group C: Uzbekistan, UAE, Malaysia, India
Group D: Vietnam, China, Syria, Lebanon
Group E: Iran, Thailand, Jordan, Singapore
- India clubbed with S. Korea, Australia in Asian Cup soccer - Apr 24, 2010
- Draw for 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers final round - Mar 09, 2012
- Lebanon draw 2-2 with Kuwait in World Cup qualifier - Oct 12, 2011
- Junior Davis Cup: India open against Chinese Taipei - Apr 17, 2011
- History will favour India in AFC Asian Cup (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Indian football team to play Oman, Azerbaijan - Feb 03, 2012
- Champions League T20 scheduled from Sep 23 - Jun 30, 2011
- History will be on India's side in AFC Asian Cup - Jan 06, 2011
- Two Champions League matches shifted from Kolkata to Bangalore - Aug 16, 2011
- Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years - Jun 23, 2012
- Champions League: Dempo provisionally placed in Group B - Jan 07, 2009
- AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiers - Jun 27, 2012
- Kolkata boys gear up for ASEAN Cup challenge - Jul 12, 2012
- India U-16 lose second football friendly - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: afc challenge cup, asia cup football, asia cup qualifier, asia cup qualifiers, doha, fifa, football tournament, group india, groupings, home stretch, india group, qualifier group, runners, saudi arabia, syria lebanon, uae, united arab emirates, uzbekistan, vietnam china, world cup