India go down to Japan in Thomas Cup qualifiersFebruary 21st, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by admin
Ho Chi Min city (Vietnam), Feb 21 (IANS) India were drubbed 5-0 by Japan to finish runners-up in Group C of the Thomas Cup Asian Zone qualifiers here Thursday. India will now have a tough task to qualify for the World Group as they face Group A topper Malaysia in the quarterfinals. A semi-final appearance alone can reserve their place in the next level.
Japan’s Shoji Sato got the better of Anup Sridhar 21-17, 21-15 in the first match of the tie. Then top doubles duo of Rupesh Kumar and Thomas Sanave put up a fight but went down 19-21, 21-19, 14-21 to Masuda Keita and Ohtsuka Tadashi.
Arvind Bhat also gave his best but failed to overcome Sasaki Sho 18-21, 21-18, 15-21 in almost an hour-long game.
Akshay Dewalakr and V. Diju then lost the second doubles tie to Iketa Shintaro and Sakamoto Shuichi 13-21, 12-21, while National Champion Chetan Anand went down to Tago Kenichi 19-21, 19-21 in the last match of the tie.
Following in the footsteps of their male counterparts, Indian women also lost their Uber Cup tie 1-4 against Malaysia.
National Champion Saina Nehwal squandered a one-set advantage to go down 21-15 20-22, 17-21 while Trupti Murgunde lost 10-21, 12-21 to Julia Pei Xian in the next singles match.
Aditi Mutatkar fetched India’s only win as she beat Anita Raj Kaur 21-9, 26-24 to make it 2-1 for India.
But top doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian went down to Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui 16-21, 17-21 to dash any Indian hopes of a comeback.
Saina and Aparna Balan then lost their doubles tie to Lim Pek and Haw Chiou 21-16, 10-21, 11-21.
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- Saina loses to Jiang Yanjiao in Korea Open quarters - Jan 06, 2012
- Asian Games: Indian men, women lose in badminton team event - Nov 13, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina out of Asian Championship, Indian campaign over - Apr 20, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Sudirman Cup: India lose 2-3 to Chinese Taipei - May 22, 2011
- Saina beats Eriko to enter Swiss Open quarters - Mar 18, 2011
- Saina in quarters of Swiss Open (Lead, superseding previous story) - Mar 18, 2011
- Indian Open: Jayaram, Parupalli advance to second round - Apr 25, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- Asian Games: Narang shines on day one, Bindra, Rajput unlucky (Evening Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: anita raj, anup, asian zone, chetan anand, cup qualifiers, cup tie, jwala, kurian, last match, malaysia national, male counterparts, national champion, ohtsuka, pei xian, rupesh, saina, shoji sato, shruti, thomas cup, uber cup