India go down to Indonesia in Fed Cup tennisFebruary 5th, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Perth, Feb 5 (IANS) India slumped to their second successive loss in Fed Cup tennis as they went down 0-3 to Indonesia in the Asia Oceania Zone Group I tie at the State Tennis Centre here Thursday.Sanaa Bhambri, replacing Rushmi Chakravarthi in the first singles, lost 6-2, 3-6, 2-6 against Lavinia Tananta.
Sanaa’s sister Ankita went down 0-6, 4-6 without much of a fight against Sandy Gumulya. Rushmi and Ankita then lost 6-7, 4-6 to Ayu Fani Damayanti and Jessy Rompies in the doubles tie.
India are without their most potent weapon in Sania Mirza and now stare a possible relegation to Group II.
India lost their first tie to New Zealand. They will play Uzbekistan in the last Group match Friday. Uzbekistan, who were upset by Indonesia in the first match, too, lost their second tie against New Zealand 1-2 Thursday.
If India fail to beat Uzbekistan, they will have to save themselves from relegation in a play-off, likely against Chinese Taipei, who are without two of its leading players and have lost both their Group B matches against Thailand and South Korea.
But beating Uzbekistan would be tough as well, given that Sanaa has pulled her hamstring and is doubtful for the tie.
“I do not have much of a choice. We have to see in the morning whether Sanaa is fit to play,” Piperno told IANS.
Indonesia were high on confidence having upset Uzbekistan 2-1 in the opener Wednesday.
Piperno gambled on Sanaa, instead of Rushmi for the first match Thursday, but the move didn’t pay.
Sanaa, ranked 471, was up against Tananta, who is 95 rung lower than the Indian. She took the first set easily but then fizzled out as Indonesia went 1-0 up.
Ankita, ranked 317, was no match for 296-ranked Gumulya and could not win a single match in the first set. She attempted to fight back in the second set but could not.
- Asian Games tennis: Indian women lose to Indonesia - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games tennis: Indian men advance, women out - Nov 13, 2010
- Indians no match for Kiwis in Fed Cup tennis - Feb 04, 2009
- India blanked by Uzbekistan in Fed Cup tennis - Feb 06, 2009
- Three Indians make main draw in ITF Open - Mar 18, 2012
- Fed Cup: India promoted to Asia-Oceania Group I - Feb 06, 2010
- Indian to take on New Zealand in Fed Cup tennis - Feb 03, 2009
- Fed Cup: India outplay Singapore, play Malaysia Friday - Feb 04, 2010
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in final - Feb 10, 2012
- India play Singapore first in Fed Cup - Feb 02, 2010
- Bhambri upsets Istomin in dead rubber - Apr 08, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap brings cheer on a mixed day for India (Evening Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian Fed Cup team favourite to qualify: Piperno - Feb 01, 2010
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: ankita, asia oceania, ayu fani damayanti, chinese taipei, fani, fed cup, fed cup tennis, jessy, perth, potent weapon, relegation, sanaa, sandy gumulya, sania mirza, single match, south korea, state tennis centre, t pay, uzbekistan, zone group