India go down to Argentina, finish runner-up in Azlan ShahMay 19th, 2008 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
Ipoh (Malaysia), May 18 (IANS) India went down 1-2 to Argentina via a golden goal in the final of Azlan Shah hockey tournament here Sunday. Mario Almada struck a brace, including the golden goal, to dash the young Indian team’s hopes of winning the coveted trophy.
Sandeep Singh put India ahead through a penalty corner conversion while Argentina came back from behind through Almada (14th, 73rd) to win the title for his side.
India though will return home satisfied as they scripted a brilliant turnaround and won four matches in a row after two defeats to reach the final after a gap of 12 years.
Argentina set the pace of the match with moves into the Indian defence but goalkeeper Adrian D’Souza came out with some good saves.
India got their first penalty corner after Shivendra Singh and S V Sunil were brought down near the circle.
Sandeep converted the corner, scoring his ninth goal of the tournament to open the account for India.
The equaliser for Argentina came just four minutes later. Right winger Tomas Argento’s cross was put across Indian goalpost by Almada.
As both teams forayed into rival defence, scuffle broke out between the players and forced the umpires to halt the match for six minutes in the first half.
Argentina stepped up the attack in the second half but failed to deliver the killer punch. Argentina got a penalty corner five minutes before the hooter but could not make it count. India also wasted two short corners.
The match went into the extra-time with the scores tied at 1-1 after the regulation time. Almada scored the golden goal and Argentina burst into celebration.
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- India lose to finish eighth in Hockey World Cup - Mar 12, 2010
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India stun Britain to clinch bronze - Jun 03, 2012
- Azlan Shah cup: India hold on Australia 1-1 - May 08, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- India beat South Africa 4-2 to enter Champions Challenge final - Dec 03, 2011
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- India thrash Poland 4-2, face France in final (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- India beat Korea 3-2 in Azlan Shah Cup hockey - May 09, 2010
- India finish eighth in Hockey World Cup - Mar 12, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men's hockey team thrash France 6-2, women win 3-0 (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- India play Britain for podium finish; New Zealand-Argentina final - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: argento, equaliser, extra time, five minutes, four minutes, gap, goalpost, golden goal, hockey tournament, hooter, indian defence, mario almada, ninth goal, regulation time, six minutes, souza, sunil, turnaround, umpires, winger