India gets set to receive more Israel AWACSMay 24th, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, May 24 (ANI): Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and India are in the advanced stages of talks regarding New Delhi’s interest in purchasing three new Phalcon Airborne Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) from Israel, in what could turn into the largest defense contract in the country’s history.
After a five-year delay, Israel will deliver the first of three AWACS ordered by India in 2004 for 1.1 billion dollars. The plane took off from Israle’s Ben-Gurion Airport this afternoon. The remaining two planes are scheduled to reach India in 2010.
The Phalcon (phased array L-band conformal radar) was designed and manufactured by Elta, a subsidiary of IAI. It includes radar, electronic intelligence systems and communication equipment. The company has already sold a similar system to Chile’s air force.
The Phalcon will enhance India’s ability to detect aerial threats and serve as a platform for directing combat jets to targets. It is an all-weather system capable of tracking 60 targets simultaneously and can operate to a range of up to 400 km. Officials said that the Indian Defense Ministry was currently holding internal debates over the possibility of purchasing three additional aircraft. India has also expressed interest in the Eitam, an intelligence-gathering plane also developed by IAI.
A new Phalcon deal with India would involve planes with the same configuration as those purchased in the 2004 order and would include a radar and electronic intelligence system designed and manufactured by Elta Systems Group installed in an Ilyushin-76 aircraft, which would be supplied by Russia. However, IAI is reportedly asking 30 percent more money for another three aircraft. (ANI)
- Israel, India discuss delivery schedule of weapons - Dec 09, 2009
- India and Israel in anti-terror front (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- India, Israel discuss cooperation against terror - Dec 22, 2009
- India's second AWACS eye-in-the-sky to arrive in March - Jan 17, 2010
- Agra air base ready to receive AWACS - Sep 27, 2008
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- Israeli defence delegation to visit India next week - Dec 03, 2009
- Israeli military delegation to visit India to strengthen ties (Lead) - Dec 03, 2009
- Israeli defence chief coming to India - Dec 08, 2009
- Indian team to visit Israel to discuss AWACS delay - Sep 22, 2008
- India's first advanced radar system to roll out end-2011 - Nov 09, 2010
- In quest for supremacy, IAF inducts AWACS - May 28, 2009
- Israel, Italy ink deal for military aircraft - Jul 20, 2012
- IAF's AWACS eye-in-the-sky to be inducted Tuesday - May 22, 2009
- Indian Air Force's eye in the sky arrives escorted by fighter jets - May 25, 2009
Tags: 1 billion dollars, aerospace industries, awacs, ben gurion airport, combat jets, communication equipment, defense contract, defense ministry, electronic intelligence, ilyushin 76, intelligence gathering, intelligence system, intelligence systems, internal debates, l band, may 24, New Delhi, systems group, two planes, weather system