India for peaceful resolution of Iranian nuclear issueMarch 23rd, 2011 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, March 23 (IANS) Expressing support for Iran’s right to peaceful use of nuclear energy “consistent with their international obligations”, India has called for intensification of efforts to address the Iranian nuclear issue through peaceful dialogue.
“As a country abiding by all its obligations of international treaties and having strong credentials of non-proliferation, India has taken a consistent stand on the Iran nuclear issue,” India’s Permanent Representative Hardeep Singh Puri told the UN Security Council Tuesday.
Like all States, “Iran is entitled to the right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, and should at the same time restore international confidence to the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear activities,” he said.
“To that end, we support intensification of efforts to address the Iranian nuclear issue by peaceful means, through dialogue and negotiation,” Puri said at a briefing on Iran Sanctions Committee.
India also believed that the International Atomic Energy Agency has a central role in resolution of technical issues concerning Iranian nuclear programme.
Calling upon all sides to fully implement the Security Council resolutions, Puri said there should be no violation of the mandated measures.
“At the same time, all efforts should be made to ensure that legitimate trade and economic activities of Iranian entities and those of other countries should not suffer,” he said promising to contribute towards the Sanctions committee’s work in that direction as one of its members.
Noting that Iran is part of what has been defined as India’s “proximate neighbourhood”, Puri said, “Iran, located at the crossroads of the Indian sub-continent, Central Asia and Middle East, is an important country and has a role to play in regional issues.”
- India backs UN resolutions on Iran nuclear issue - Mar 22, 2012
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- India warns against 'disastrous' conflict over Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- IAEA resolution sends unified message to Iran: US - Nov 19, 2011
- India under pressure to cut oil imports from Iran: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Iran 'not unhappy' with India over Syria vote - Feb 07, 2012
- US urges India to press Iran over nuclear issue (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- UNSC condemns Iraq terror attacks; seeks stability in Central Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- BRICS says dialogue only answer for Syria, Iran - Mar 29, 2012
- US exempts India from Iran oil sanctions (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Iran should cooperate with IAEA : UN chief - Feb 18, 2012
- India abstains from Saudi-sponsored resolution aimed at Iran - Nov 19, 2011
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- India, US discuss Syria, Iran - Aug 22, 2012
- IAEA wants Iran to comply without delay on n-issue - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, indian sub continent, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international confidence, international obligations, international treaties, iran sanctions, legitimate trade, nuclear activities, nuclear issue, peaceful dialogue, peaceful nature, peaceful resolution, regional issues, sanctions committee, security council resolutions, un security council, united nations march, use of nuclear energy