India, EU still some distance away from finalizing trade,investment pact: Manmohan SinghDecember 10th, 2010 - 7:55 pm ICT by ANI
Brussels, Dec.10 (ANI): India and the European Union are close to signing a broad-based trade and investment agreement, visiting Indian Prime Minister, Dr. manmohan Singh, said here on Friday during a joint media interaction with the President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, and the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.
“Our two sides have done commendable work in negotiations of an India-EU broad-based trade and investment agreement. We are at the last stages of this complex exercise. We have directed our officials to redouble their efforts to reach a conclusion by the spring of 2011. Finalisation of a balanced agreement will bring enormous benefits to both sides,” Dr. Singh said.
Acknowledging that the partnership between India and the European Union has matured tremendously, Dr. Singh said: “Today, it covers the entire gamut of areas ranging from the political and security to education and science.”
“Its significance transcends the purely bilateral. We have had extremely productive and useful discussions today. These are reflected in the joint statement that has been issued. We have also issued a joint declaration on culture and another on international terrorism,” he added.
He also said that both sides We reviewed the progress that has been made in the implementation of the Joint Action Plan, which is the template of our cooperation. Agreements on cooperation on peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and maritime transport are under negotiation. (ANI)
- India, EU decide to step up trade deal talks, sign research pact - Feb 10, 2012
- India, EU to clinch FTA soon, to combat terror (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India, EU to expedite free trade talks - Feb 10, 2012
- India-EU close in on trade pact - Dec 10, 2010
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- EU seeks free trade deal with India - Dec 08, 2010
- Trade and terror on agenda, PM leaves for Belgium and Germany (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- India to deepen ties with EU and Germany, says PM - Dec 09, 2010
- PM to visit Belgium, Germany to expand bilateral ties - Dec 07, 2010
- India-EU trade deal talks 'critically poised' - Feb 06, 2012
- All is not lost on India-EU trade frontier - Dec 10, 2010
- Belgium hopeful of India-EU trade pact by 2013 summit - Aug 08, 2012
- India, EU should take lead in avoiding global protectionist trends: PM - Dec 10, 2010
- Kashmiris to protest during Manmohan visit - Dec 09, 2010
- India, EU should open markets, avoid protectionism: PM - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: cooperation agreements, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, enormous benefits, european commission, gamut, herman van rompuy, indian prime minister, international terrorism, investment agreement, jose manuel, manmohan, manmohan singh, maritime transport, media interaction, negotiation, pact, peaceful uses of nuclear energy, trade investment, uses of nuclear energy