India close to victory in Hamilton Test (Tea report)March 21st, 2009 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
Hamilton, March 21 (IANS) India moved closer to victory as they reduced New Zealand to 216 for eight in their second innings on the fourth day of the first cricket Test at Seddon Park here Saturday.
New Zealand need 25 runs to make India bat again. Brendon McCullum (30) and Iaian’o Brien (5) were at the crease when tea was taken.
The Kiwis lost three quick wickets after lunch, all taken by Harbhajan Singh (5-45).
New Zealand lost the wicket of James Franklin (14) immediately after lunch. Daniel Flynn, the only Kiwi batsman to show some resistance was the next to go, scoring 67 off 183 balls.
Harbhajan then removed skipper Daniel Vettori (21) caught behind.
Earlier, India grabbed the wickets of two attacking batsmen Ross Taylor for four and Jesse Ryder 21 before lunch. They should have consumed Flynn, too, had Dhoni not muffed a caught-behind chance off Harbhajan when the batsman was on 55.
Munaf Patel and Harbhajan claimed a wicket each, but overall the Indian attack was more purposeful with Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma doing their bit as hosts struggled to score 71 runs off 26 overs in the session.
Flynn began the day on a dashing note, cutting and pulling Zaheer for fours. He then forced Munaf past point for two more and drove Ishant through the covers for another to get to his fifty off 118 balls.
New Zealand, who needed 42 overs to see the hundred on the board, lost Taylor, slashing Munaf straight to Virender Sehwag at point.
Ryder came to the crease with a positive intent and his first scoring stroke could have ended up as a catch to Harbhajan in the covers. He continued in the same vein to pull Zaheer for a four and a six.
The first-innings century-maker was beaten on the defence by a beauty from Harbhajan and it was an easy legbefore decision for umpire Simon Taufel, the ball striking the back leg.
- India inch towards victory in the Hamilton Test (Lead) - Mar 21, 2009
- India record first Test win in New Zealand in 33 years (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2009
- India record first Test win in New Zealand in 33 years (Lead Roundup, Correcting score in para two) - Mar 21, 2009
- Taylor's ton keeps Kiwis afloat at tea - Aug 31, 2012
- India tighten grip on first Test against New Zealand (Roundup) - Aug 24, 2012
- First Test: Ashwin spins India to innings victory (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2012
- Harbhajan thinks India can win from here on in Hyderabad - Nov 13, 2010
- Ojha strikes twice as Kiwis struggle (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- First Test: India four wickets away from win (Tea Report) - Aug 26, 2012
- Trott survives to score half-century, England 127/2 (Tea report) - Jul 21, 2011
- Indian bowlers leave Kiwis tottering on first day of Nagpur Test - Nov 20, 2010
- India Emerging Players force New Zealand A to follow on - Aug 07, 2011
- New Zealand under pressure in Nagpur Test - Nov 22, 2010
- India hands out innings defeat to Kiwis in Nagpur - Nov 23, 2010
- Zaheer, Harbhajan wrap up New Zealand first innings for 350 - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: crease, cricket test, daniel vettori, doing their bit, harbhajan singh, ishant sharma, james franklin, kiwis, mccullum, munaf patel, o brien, ross taylor, ryder, sehwag, tea report, test tea, umpire, wicket, wickets, zaheer khan