India, China partners in development: Chinese consul generalJuly 25th, 2012 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, July 25 (IANS) Asserting that India and China are not rivals, Chinese Consul General here Niu Qingbao Wednesday said both countries are rather partners in development of the region.
“China and India have been in the news for many years, first because both are fastest growing major economies, which lead some to predict that we will dominate the world. We have border disputes that had resulted in what strategists term as ‘unavoidable confrontation’ or ‘rivalry’ between us,” Niu said here while addressing a seminar.
He was speaking at “Emerging partnership between China and India” at a seminar on “Doing business with China” organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Pune Zonal Council.
“I wish to stress that China and India are not on the path of rivalry. China and India are the largest trading partner of each other in South Asia. Last year, our bilateral trade totalled USD 73.9 billion, 20 percent more than 2010 and 25 times that of 2000,” he said.
Niu said that on the investment front, Chinese companies have invested a total USD 589 million in India and India Inc has invested USD 450 million in China by the end of March. Indian investment in China has been highly profitable, he said.
He stressed on the role of governments of both nations to play a more constructive and mediator’s role for the mutual development of both the countries. He dwelt upon thrust areas which could proliferate in China if given the right impetus.
Speaking at the session, Deputy Director, Trade Development Bureau, Ministry of Commerce, People’s Republic of China Miao Huawei said China and India are both enjoying fast economic growth and are two big emerging economies in the world.
“Both the countries complement each other in bilateral trade especially in the IT field. While China does well in hardware, India takes the lead in the software services in the world. Both need each other to make an impact,” Miao said.
- India-China trade to cross $120 billion by 2012 - Nov 27, 2010
- India, China help spur Africa's development: Experts - Sep 02, 2011
- Chinese firm to invest $2 bn to expand operation in Britain - Sep 12, 2012
- China expects S100 bn trade volume with India by 2015 - Aug 17, 2012
- India may soon export rice to China (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- China's Huawei to invest $2 bn on Indian telecom lab, factory - Dec 14, 2010
- Students protest for free Tibet - Nov 02, 2011
- 'India can soon export rice to China' - Jun 21, 2012
- Modi to showcase Gujarat in China - Oct 30, 2011
- Chinese companies asked to import more from India - Mar 28, 2012
- India, China to hold maritime dialogue, border meeting next week (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Important for China to communicate with US: Hu - Nov 13, 2011
- UAE, China seek to boost trade ties - May 25, 2012
- Chinese firms mull joint ventures in India (With image) - Apr 13, 2012
- China denied rivalry with India, drums up trade, $16 bn deals (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: bilateral trade, border disputes, china partners, chinese companies, chinese consul, confederation of indian industry, consul general, doing business with china, emerging economies, huawei, india china, india inc, indian investment, miao, ministry of commerce, pune, republic of china, South Asia, strategists, thrust areas