India-China martial arts meet at Shaolin templeJune 21st, 2010 - 7:32 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 21 (IANS) Martial arts experts from China and India met at the Shaolin Temple, famous as one of the holy sites of the art of Kung fu, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
Twelve Indian martial arts experts from the Nithya Chaithanya Kalari Indian martial arts training centre, founded in 1993 by Murugan Gurakal, performed Kalaripayattu Sunday alongside monks of the Shaolin Temple, who performed Kung fu.
“Shaolin Kung fu is the father of Chinese martial arts and Kalari is the mother of Indian martial arts,” Murugan Gurakal, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Gurakal hoped his countrymen could learn a lot from Shaolin Kung fu.
The Indian experts performed Kalarippayattu styles like long stick fighting, knife fighting, sword, shield and flexible swords, while the Shaolin monks performed Kung fu including Tung Chi Gong, Er-zhi-zen and Eighteen Weapons.
Shi Yanhao, a monk who performed Tiger Fist, said he was “happy to see the mysterious Indian martial arts”.
- Martial arts display marks Sino-India diplomatic ties - Jul 12, 2010
- China's kung fu town to build global martial arts conglomerate - Aug 04, 2011
- Shaolin Temple monks take on tourist guide's role - Mar 26, 2012
- China's Shaolin temple in world heritage list - Aug 02, 2010
- Visitors to ancient Shaolin temple decline - Feb 06, 2012
- Champions League kicks off with dazzling opening ceremony - Oct 08, 2009
- Theatre emerging as the new diplomatic tool - Jan 07, 2011
- Music, dance and fireworks launch Champions League (Lead) - Oct 08, 2009
- 'CEO monk' set to franchise Kung Fu Shaolin shrine - Nov 25, 2008
- China unveils 100 new books on Buddhist medicine - May 29, 2011
- 53-year-old Chinese woman pulls 6 cars weighing over 9 tons! - Nov 20, 2010
- Hindi version of Canadian movie for Mumbai terror victims - Dec 20, 2008
- 'Kung Fu Panda 2' breaks China records, earns 11 mn pounds - Jun 06, 2011
- India showcases traditional martial arts at Games closing - Oct 14, 2010
- UTV to produce superhero project in Tamil - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: 60th anniversary, beijing, chi gong, chinese martial arts, countrymen, diplomatic relations, fist, india china, indian martial arts, june 21, martial arts experts, martial arts training, monk, nithya, shaolin monks, shaolin temple, swords, tung, xinhua, zen