India-Britain naval exercises to tackle piracyJune 16th, 2009 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 16 (IANS) An Indian Navy task group, led by the 6,700-tonne destroyer INS Delhi, arrived in the British port of Portsmouth Tuesday ahead of joint exercises whose aims include tackling sea piracy off the African coast.
The Indian fleet, under the command of Rear Admiral Surinder Pal Singh Cheema, includes the frigates INS Beas and Brahmaputra and the tanker INS Aditya, the Indian High commission said.
The joint manoeuvres, named ‘Konkan’, are an annual event with the Royal Navy aimed at building “maritime interoperability and mutual understanding”.
The British participants, commanded by Commodore Simon Ancona, include the frigates HMS Westminster and HMS Lancaster, the nuclear powered submarine HMS Trafalgar, the auxiliaries RFA Mounts Bay and RFA Fort Rosalie and an RAF Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft.
“This is an essential and long-standing relationship as our navies are increasingly working together in the Indian Ocean tackling problems such as piracy off the coast of Africa,” Ancona said.
The combined Task Group will set sail June 20 and exercise together for six days, focusing on anti-submarine warfare.
- Indian and Royal Navy to participate in 'Exercise Konkan 2009' in UK waters - Jun 12, 2009
- British n-sub in India for naval war game - Oct 07, 2011
- India, Britain begin submarine naval exercise Wednesday - Jul 27, 2010
- Indo-French naval exercise to help anti-piracy operations - Jan 08, 2011
- Singapore, Indian Navies conduct naval exercise - Mar 24, 2011
- Indo-French naval wargames to begin in Arabian Sea - Jan 06, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Indian warships on goodwill visit to Africa - Aug 20, 2010
- French carrier in India for joint naval drill - Jan 06, 2011
- Indian, Singaporean navies hold war game in China's backyard - Mar 24, 2011
- French naval frigate arrives in Mumbai (With Images) - Aug 26, 2010
- Indian Navy deploys western fleet ships on a goodwill visit - Aug 20, 2010
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills in May - Feb 27, 2012
- Britain wants sea drones to attack submarines - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: auxiliaries, brahmaputra, british participants, cheema, fort rosalie, frigates, india britain, indian high commission, indian navy, ins beas, manoeuvres, maritime patrol aircraft, navies, raf nimrod, rear admiral, rfa, royal navy, sea piracy, submarine warfare, task group