India bows out of Thomas Cup and Uber Cup badmintonFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by admin
Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Feb 22 (IANS) Indian men’s badminton team crashed out of the Thomas Cup Asian Zone qualifiers after losing 0-3 to Malaysia in the quarterfinal here Friday. Anup Sridhar lost to Lee Chong Wei 15-21, 14-21 in the first singles match. Then doubles combination of Sanave Thomas and Rupesh Kumar went down to Choong Tan and Fook 9-21, 10-21 in the doubles encounter.
Arvind Bhat sweated it out against Wong Choong Hann but was finally overpowered 16-21, 21-18, 10-21. With the semi-final berth, Malaysia has advanced to the World Group stage of the championship.
India’s women team’s campaign at the Uber Cup also ended on a disappointing note as they lost 1-3 to Korea.
National Champion Saina Nehwal gave India a rousing start as she beat Jun Jae Youn 21-17, 21-12. But rest of the women shuttlers failed to capitalise on the start and lost the next three consecutive matches to hand over the tie to the Koreans.
Aparna Balan and Shruti Kurian went down to Lee Kyung Won and Lee Hyo Jung 13-21, 9-21 in the opening doubles. Aditi Mutatkar was then drubbed 19-21, 5-21 by Hwang Hye Youn, while Saina and Jwala Gutta lost the second double encounter to Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung 10-21, 20-22.
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India in quarterfinals of Thomas, Uber Cups - May 11, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- Varma, Pawar lose in Korea Open Superseries qualifier - Jan 03, 2012
- China Masters: Saina, Jwala-Diju in quarters - Sep 15, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Gurusai Datt pulls off second upset of day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Asian Games: Indian men, women lose in badminton team event - Nov 13, 2010
- China Open: Saina, Jayaram, Kashyap lose in first round - Nov 23, 2011
- CWG badminton: India win silver in mixed team event - Oct 08, 2010
- Saina enters Indian Open prequarters - Apr 25, 2012
- India Open badminton: Saina knocked out in prequarters (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Saina out of Asian Championship, Indian campaign over - Apr 20, 2012
- Indian campaign over in French Open Super Series - Oct 27, 2011
- Asian Games badminton: Walkover for Bhat, Aparna-Sivarajan make first round exit - Nov 17, 2010
- Saina beats Eriko to enter Swiss Open quarters - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: anup sridhar, asian zone, badminton team, chi minh city, group stage, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, indian men, jung eun, jwala, kurian, lee chong wei, lee hyo, national champion, rupesh, saina nehwal, shruti, thomas cup and uber cup, wong choong hann, world group