India beat Pakistan to enter Azlan Shah hockey finalApril 11th, 2009 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Ipoh (Malaysia), April 11 (IANS) Skipper Sandeep Singh scored a brace to lead India into the final of the Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament with a 2-1 win over arch-rivals Pakistan here Saturday.
India, who finished runners-up in the previous edition, will face hosts Malaysia in the summit clash Sunday.
Sandeep, who has been in fine form throughout the tournament, first scored in the 29th minute. Abbas Haider levelled for the Pakistan in the 50th minute before Sandeep struck again in the 61st minute to edge past Pakistan in their must-win last league match.
India finished with eight points. They beat hosts Malaysia and drew with Egypt and New Zealand in earlier matches.
Malaysia, who needed a draw against New Zealand to secure a final berth, were held 1-1 by the Kiwis in the last round robin match
India got the lead through Sandeep’s penalty stroke to go into the breather 1-0.
Pakistan stepped up the tempo in the second half and Haider equalised in the 50th minute in a goalmouth melee.
Sandeep then slammed home the winner in the 61st minute.
India’s coach Harendra Singh said the team has bounced back after being held by minnows Egypt in the first match.
“They have shown the fighting spirit. The team is looking forward to win the final,” he said.
India will have a psychological edge in the final, having blanked Malaysia 3-0 in the league stage.
India had lost 1-2 to Argentina in last year’s final.
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India's medal hopes dashed as New Zealand crush them 7-3 - May 12, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- India play Britain for podium finish; New Zealand-Argentina final - Jun 03, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India lose 1-2 to South Korea, finish sixth (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- India rally to draw 1-1 with China in Azlan Shah hockey - May 06, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: New-look India team has a lot to play for - May 04, 2011
- India need to cover all bases against Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- India pummel Egypt 7-1, to meet South Korea in Azlan Shah final - May 15, 2010
- Azlan Shah Cup: India squander two-goal lead, lose to Korea 2-3 - May 05, 2011
Tags: abbas, arch rivals, azlan shah cup, azlan shah cup hockey, azlan shah cup hockey tournament, berth, egypt, fighting spirit, kiwis, league stage, match, melee, minnows, pakistan, penalty stroke, psychological edge, runners, second half, skipper, summit clash