In-debt Fergie’s wasteful spending spreeAugust 17th, 2010 - 5:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 17 (ANI): Duchess of York splurged hundreds of thousands of pounds on designer dresses she never wore and first-class flights she never took, it has emerged.
Fergie - who is 5-million-pound in the red - enjoyed a lavish life of excess jetting between New York and London.
“It is an absolute joke to portray her as a helpless victim in all of this. Her spending on dresses, jackets and shoes in a week was often more than people earn in a year,” the Sun quoted a US source as saying.
Fergie would spend the week in New York and the weekends in Windsor or London seeing daughters Beatrice, 22, and Eugenie, 20. The source said: “Staff were sent into Manhattan every day without fail to shop for her. She blew 1,500 pounds on T-shirts and tights.”
She also sent staff to grab handfuls of 4,000 pounds evening dresses by designers like Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood.
The source said: “She was out in New York every night. The plan was to buy them on approval and get the money back if she didn’t like them.
“But it never worked - she was hopeless at making decisions. They were never returned in time so she ended up paying a colossal sum for dresses she never wore.
“It wasn’t just clothes. She spent thousands on bathroom lotions. In a bad week, she could quite happily spend 25,000 pounds shopping and over the course of a year easily racked up a half million pound bill.”
Fergie’s costly transatlantic flights were just as wasteful. A travel industry source said: “She thought nothing of arriving at an airport with 25 cases and paying between 800 pounds and 4,000 pounds in excess baggage.”
At least five of those cases were packed with toiletries and make-up. Another one would be used solely for clothes hangers.
The source said: “I estimate she has blown millions through her inability to plan. She would regularly miss flights that weren’t refundable.”
The Duchess - who was divorced from Prince Andrew in 1996 - did her best to avoid paying hotel bills.
The US source said: “She would just breeze out of the Four Seasons and the Palace in New York as if she was too important to pay.
“There would often be large room service bills but she got away with it more often than not.”
Fergie, 50, was also happy to chuck away expensive meals. An insider said: “She has been served food by the finest European chefs that she’s thrown away. “She could always tell someone to knock up a home-cooked meal like shepherd’s pie.” The Duchess also blew a fortune on 50 bottles pounds of Laurent Perrier Rosé champagne, which went unfinished.
The source went on: “There was one heavy night in New York. Dozens of bottles were left three quarters full - it was an appalling waste. That was the norm.” (ANI)
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Duchess of York not invited to William's wedding - Feb 19, 2011
- Sarah Ferguson clears part of $7mn debt thanks to Oprah - Mar 07, 2011
- Duchess of York sacks entire office staff to stave off bankruptcy - Jul 10, 2010
- Duchess of York 'once sold herself as an escort' - Jun 07, 2010
- Fergie hasn't always been so greedy: Biographer - May 31, 2010
- Fergie turned down $3mn Saudi Prince sex offer: Biographer - May 31, 2010
- Daisy Lowe wore a dress for six-months! - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Abandoned' Duchess of York to make TV show with Oprah Winfrey? - Sep 05, 2010
- Girl spends 38,000 pounds on mom's cards - Jul 21, 2011
- Minogue wants to design for Kate - Mar 19, 2012
- Fergie's dress shocks all at Grammy Awards 2012 - Feb 13, 2012
- Catherine to gift her portrait to Price William - Apr 09, 2012
- Sarah Ferguson to make public apology on Oprah show - May 28, 2010
- Pippa's dress again grabs eyeballs at boxing match - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: alexander mcqueen, beatrice, clothes hangers, designer dresses, duchess of york, evening dresses, excess baggage, first class flights, handfuls, helpless victim, hundreds of thousands, industry source, lavish life, lotions, prince andrew, spending spree, toiletries, transatlantic flights, travel industry, vivienne westwood