Imran Khan has gone into hiding, says ex-wife JemimaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
The drama came amid rising international concern over the crackdown on lawyers and political opponents by President Pervez Musharraf.
In his email, Mr Khan wrote: “They are using sheer force against lawyers, human rights organisations, political activists and all genuine opposition leaders are in jail. The police have ransacked my house and ill-treated my family members.”
He said he escaped after intelligence sources warned him that he was to be taken to prison.
Khan also accused the United States of being complicit in Musharraf’s decision to declare a state of emergency, because he was a key ally in the war on terror.
“They (the US) are backing Musharraf as he could never get his way if they were serious about stopping him.
“Our aim is to continue the struggle and mobilise the youth of the country from underground,” Imran was quoted as saying in his email.
Jemima Khan condemned Britain and the US for a muted response, and rejected Musharraf’s claim to be defending Pakistan against Islamic extremism.
She said: “Musharraf needs extremists to guarantee his support from the West and to stay in power: his real goal.”
The Khans spoke out as police clashed for a second day with lawyers protesting against the state of emergency. (ANI)
- Hugh Grant gets the court ruling in his favor in the hacking scandal - Jul 20, 2011
- 'Freedom of information' crusader Jemima Khan wins privacy order - Mar 23, 2011
- Jemima Khan says her sons would support Pakistan over England - May 31, 2010
- Imran Khan and Jemima still a compatible team - May 25, 2009
- Two held for murder of Rebecca John's mother (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Pakistan fast slipping into chaos: Imran - Jul 31, 2011
- Ten injured in grenade attack at Imran's rally - Feb 10, 2012
- Danger for Musharraf if proceedings commenced against him in Benazir murder case - Feb 11, 2011
- WikiLeaks to publish files on aliens, UFOs - Dec 04, 2010
- Assange must face court, says Jemima Khan - Jun 22, 2012
- Imran's party threatens to block NATO supplies - Mar 26, 2011
- Jemima Khan offers to help WikiLeaks founder in Swedish extradition fight - Dec 08, 2010
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Shujaat meets Imran in quest of common ground in Pak Politics - Dec 26, 2010
- Jemima Khan sparks controversy after 'stepdaughter' tweet - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: aim, complicit, email, family members, genuine opposition, human rights organisations, imran khan, intelligence sources, international concern, islamic extremism, jemima khan, lawyers, mail, mr khan, political activists, political opponents, president pervez musharraf, state of emergency, war on terror, wife jemima