Imran Khan escapes from house arrestNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:27 am ICT by admin
Khan was put under house arrest hours after President Pervez Musharraf tried to justify the imposition of emergency in the country and was kept confined at his home in Lahore.
The former skipper of the Pakistan Cricket Team, which brought the World Cup to Pakistan in 1992, had launched a verbal diatribe on Saturday against Musharraf, soon after the imposition of emergency.
Khan had demanded death penalty for Musharraf for “committing treason.”
Calling on Pakistanis to resist Musharraf’s move and not to recognise new Chief Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar, Khan had said: ” I urge the people, lawyers, civil society to resist this move by Musharraf. I urge lawyers to boycott the court proceedings.”
Even after being kept under house arrest, he told CNN that General Musharraf was squarely to blame for Pakistan’s problems.
“He never said how is he through the Emergency going to do things that are any different. He was the absolute ruler, he had absolute control so what was the impediment in his way to fight militancy and terrorism,” he said on early Sunday morning. (ANI)
- Lawyer pleads SC to issue red warrants against Musharraf for extradition to Pak - Oct 14, 2010
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- LHC seeks Pak govt's reply on petition seeking Musharraf's trial for high treason - Nov 27, 2010
- Imran Khan must leave politics, become cricket coach to save honour: PML(N) minister - Mar 28, 2011
- Lahore Court postpones hearing of petitions against Musharraf to Nov 1 - Oct 19, 2010
- Pak public should come out on streets against US drone attacks: Shahbaz Sharif - Apr 27, 2011
- Imran predicts positive change in Pak in next year's possible mid-term polls - Sep 22, 2010
- Ten injured in grenade attack at Imran's rally - Feb 10, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- No chance of early elections in Pakistan: Gilani - Dec 31, 2011
- Musharraf's launch of party draws hostile response - Oct 02, 2010
- Official of Imran Khan's party calls Musharraf "a habitual liar" - Apr 12, 2010
- Ex-minister Qureshi joins Imran Khan's party - Nov 27, 2011
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul hameed, absolute control, absolute ruler, cnn, court proceedings, diatribe, foreign news, general musharraf, house arrest, imposition, imran khan, lawyers, new chief justice, pakistan cricket team, president pervez musharraf, resist, slipped away, supporters, urge