Impossible to deprive Iran of nuclear technology: LarijaniFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 4:19 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 22 (IANS) Iran’s parliament Speaker Ali Larijani Saturday said it was impossible to prevent his country of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, Mehr news agency reported.
“Iran has observed international regulations and depriving Iran of nuclear technology is impossible,” Larijani told visiting former German chancellor Gerhard Schroeder during a meeting in Tehran.
Larijani’s comments came after the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said Thursday in a report that Tehran has not stopped its controversial uranium enrichment though it has slowed down its activities.
Iran has been at loggerheads with the West over its nuclear programme. The West, especially the US, accuse Tehran of trying to make atomic bomb under its nuclear programme, a charge Iran denies.
During the meeting with Schroeder, Larijani also criticised the European Union (EU) for removing the Mojahedin Khalq Organization (MKO) from its terrorist list last month.
“Some countries divide terrorists into two categories - ‘good terrorists’ and ‘bad terrorists’, Larijani told Schroeder, underlining the EU’s double standard on the fight against terror.
He called on the 27-nation bloc to adopt an independent approach towards international issues.
Schroeder, who arrived in Iran Thursday on a four-day unofficial visit, also met Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Saturday and exchanged views on regional and international developments.
- Meira Kumar meets Iranian President Ahmadinejad - Nov 05, 2011
- Ahmadinejad to unveil nuclear achievements Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- US turning countries against Iran: Ahmadinejad - Apr 05, 2012
- West's call for nuclear talks a ruse: Larijani - Jul 04, 2010
- Iran says IAEA's documents on its missile programme 'baseless' - Nov 06, 2011
- Iran busts US-linked internet spy gang - Mar 14, 2010
- US dismisses Iran's nuke achievements - Feb 16, 2012
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Krishna to meet Ali Larijani - May 16, 2010
- Iranians not after weapons, favour culture: Ahmadinejad - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran warns EU over removal of group from terror list - Feb 05, 2009
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- IAEA team arrives in Iran - Jan 29, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: ali larijani, atomic bomb, atomic energy agency, chancellor gerhard schroeder, former german chancellor, gerhard schroeder, german chancellor gerhard schroeder, independent approach, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, international developments, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mojahedin khalq organization, parliament speaker, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, unofficial visit, uranium enrichment