Imposition of emergency a constitutional step: Pak ministerNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
He said if the current law and order situation prevailed, the imposition of emergency as a constitutional step could be considered but, at present, there was no such thinking.
Replying to a question, Azeem said that the National Reconciliation Ordinance was Pakistan’s domestic issue and no country, including the US, had the right to intervene in this regard.
He said that the people would decide the country’s future leadership and outsiders had no mandate to make any choices.
Azeem said the election tussle would be between the PML-Q and the PPP, and ruled out any chances of an electoral alliance between the two parties.
He also said that said some cases against Benazir Bhutto and her spouse were in foreign countries and the Pakistan Government was not a party in them.
For example, he said the corruption charges against the company of Bhutto in the oil for food scam were being probed in a Spanish court, adding the case was initiated in 2004 so it was not covered in the NRO.
He said the government, in a bid to hold free and fair elections in the country, had introduced the NRO, but Bhutto’s response to it was not positive, The News reported. (ANI)
- Pir Pagara distances himself from Musharraf - Oct 08, 2010
- Benazir's 'assassin' being made Pakistan's Deputy PM: Qureshi - May 01, 2011
- Next government can approach Swiss courts: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Architect of NRO Musharraf must also be tried: Pak PM - May 17, 2010
- Gilani offers to quit after apex court contempt notice (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Gilani vows to protect constitution - May 13, 2012
- Pakistan's apex court issues Gilani contempt notice (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan parliament passes resolution supporting Gilani (Night Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- No contempt proceedings if president has immunity: Pakistani court - Feb 01, 2012
- Musharraf never consulted PML-Q on NRO, Benazir 'deal': Ch Zaheer - Oct 08, 2010
- Patterson refutes Musharraf's allegations over Shujaat's role in NRO deal - Oct 09, 2010
- Zardari has immunuity as president, Gilani tells Supreme Court (Night Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
Tags: azeem, benazir bhutto, corruption charges, domestic issue, electoral alliance, factories, foreign countries, geo tv, imposition, law and order, national reconciliation, nro, outsiders, pakistan government, pml, ppp, rumour, spanish court, tussle, working overtime