Imphal blast kills 15 (Third Lead)October 22nd, 2008 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Oct 21 (IANS) At least 15 people were killed and 18 injured in a massive bomb explosion in this Manipur capital Tuesday evening, two days after a blast near the chief minister’s official residence here, police said.”A bomb kept on a moped went off around 8 p.m.,” Imphal Superintendent of Police Radheshyam told IANS.
While 11 people were killed on the spot, four succumbed to their injuries in a hospital, he said.
The blast took place close to a Manipur Police commando complex, which is a residential area.
“We are not yet sure if any of the police commandos are among those killed or injured,” Radheshyam said.
The injured have been rushed to various hospitals in the city.
This is by far the biggest bomb attack in Manipur’s capital, a heavily guarded city that has seen frequent bomb or grenade attacks.
On Sunday, a bomb exploded close to Chief Minister Ibobi Singh’s heavily fortified residence but there were no casualties.
A caller claiming to be a member of the People’s Revolutionary Party of Kamgleipak (PREPAK), a separatist group, said the outfit was behind Sunday’s blast.
No one has claimed responsibility yet for Tuesday’s deadly attack that has sparked panic in the city.
- 14 killed in Imphal blast (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2008
- 11 killed, 15 injured in Imphal blast (Lead) - Oct 21, 2008
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Manipur bomb explosion toll mounts to 17, 30 injured - Oct 22, 2008
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Five people killed in Manipur blast - Aug 01, 2011
- Five killed, 20 injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast kills eight-year-old in Manipur - Mar 15, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012