IMF formally recognises Libyan rebel groupSeptember 10th, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, Sep 10 (IANS) Libya’s rebel-led group, the National Transitional Council, has been formally recognised by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the global body’s chief Christine Lagarde said Saturday.
“I’m very pleased to report that the IMF membership has recognised the National Transitional Council as the new government of Libya,” Xinhua quoted Lagarde as saying at a Group of Eight (G8) meeting in the French Mediterranean port city of Marseille.
“We as an international institution can only recognise new institutions and new governments if the membership in its large majority recognises the new government and that has been the case for Libya formally recognised by the IMF,” she said.
After the fall of the Muammar Gaddafi regime following months of a NATO-led operation, the NTC has been recognised as the legitimate power in Libya by some 60 countries.
During an international conference on Libya held in Paris, world leaders agreed to release $15 billion in frozen Libyan assets for the country’s interim authorities to help Libya return to normal life after months of violence.
- Still no idea about Gaddafi's whereabouts: NTC - Sep 20, 2011
- China recognises Libya's NTC as ruling authority - Sep 12, 2011
- France transfers Gaddafi funds to Libyan rebels - Aug 01, 2011
- Pakistan formally recognises Libyan government - Nov 03, 2011
- Libyan rebels seek financial help from Spain - Jul 22, 2011
- Russia to protect its companies in Libya - Sep 03, 2011
- UN pledges key role in Libya reconstruction - Sep 21, 2011
- Vatican recognises Libya's NTC - Oct 22, 2011
- Gaddafi kin leave Algeria for Egypt: Report - Sep 26, 2011
- NATO operation in Libya to continue: Obama - Sep 21, 2011
- Russia invites Libyan rebels to discuss projects - Sep 04, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Libyan rebels involved in war crimes: Amnesty - Sep 14, 2011
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Libya elects Abdurrahim El-Keib as interim Prime Minister - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,