Imam regrets controversy surrounding Ground Zero mosqueSeptember 9th, 2010 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.9 (ANI): The imam behind the planned mosque near Ground Zero has said if he knew how controversial the Islamic center project would be, he “never would have done this.”
Speaking in his first U.S. television interview, on CNN’s “Larry King Live,” Iman Feisal Abdul Rauf also said the issue had been politicized, adding, “some politicians have decided to use this for political purposes.”
“It goes against the fundamental American principle of separation of church and state. When we politicize religion it is dangerous,” the New York Post quoted Imam Rauf, as saying.
“What happens here [in America] has enormous impact over the world,” he added.
He further said: “The status of Muslims in America and how America engages with its Muslim community has global ramifications.”
The 13-story structure, planned for a site two blocks from Ground Zero, will also include a community center and a memorial to victims of the September 11 attacks.
It has already drawn a number of opponents who say it is offensive to the victims and the families of the victims of the 2001 World Trade Center attack, and that the building itself would serve as a victory memorial to Islam. (ANI)
- New York governor revives land swap offer for mosque - Sep 10, 2010
- Quran burning would have "strengthened radicals": Ground Zero mosque imam - Sep 13, 2010
- 'Ground Zero mosque' Imam to undertake 'speaking tour' of US next month - Dec 24, 2010
- US defence secretary calls Florida pastor (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Former NY mayor slams Ground Zero Imam for his "threat" speeches - Sep 13, 2010
- US pastor rethinking on cancelling Quran burning (Third Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Florida pastor cancels Quran-burning event to discuss 'Ground Zero' mosque move - Sep 10, 2010
- NY Mayor backs building of 9/11 mosque - Aug 25, 2010
- Confusion over mosque status following pastor's plan to put burning Quran on 9/11 "on hold" - Sep 10, 2010
- 'Ground Zero' imam on Mideast tour to 'Americanize' Islam - Aug 22, 2010
- Imam associated with Ground Zero mosque bows out as leader of project - Jan 15, 2011
- Unidentified 'hate filled' American burns pages of Koran near Ground Zero - Sep 12, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque to allow inspection of funds - Sep 27, 2010
- Relatives of 9/11 victims' fury over Ground Zero mosque plan - May 26, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: american principle, cnn, enormous impact, ground zero, islamic center, larry king, larry king live, mosque, muslim community, muslims in america, new york post, political purposes, ramifications, separation of church and state, september 11 attacks, story structure, television interview, victory memorial, world trade center, world trade center attack