Imam demands Islamic crescent moon symbol on Russian emblemMay 1st, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
Moscow, May 1 (ANI): A top imam has called for the addition of the Islamic crescent moon symbol on the Russian emblem.
“We are asking for one of the heads (of the Russian state emblem, a double-headed eagle) to be topped with a crescent moon and the other to be topped with a Russian Orthodox cross. All the crowns on the coat of arms — two on the heads of eagles and one above the middle — are topped by crosses. But Russia has 20 million Muslims. That is 18 percent of the population,” Tadzhuddin said.
Tadzhuddin also said that he had presented a sketch of the proposed change to both Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, Fox News reports.
The demands of Talgat Tadzhuddin, head of the Central Spiritual Association of Muslims of Russia, faced condemnation from various individuals and groups.
Georgiy Vilinbakhov, head of Russias Heraldry Service argued that based on Tadzhuddin’s demand, Russia’s name should be changed, put a green stripe on flag and move the capital city from Moscow to somewhere on the border between Europe and Asia.
These demands might renew the already heightened tension between the state and the Islamist, which Moscow has witnessed in the recent past.
Muhammedgali Khuzin, head of the executive committee of the Russian Association of Islamic Consensus, said the proposal would hurt cultural harmony, and be generally counterproductive.
The Russian Orthodox Church also rejected the idea, but suggested that predominately Muslim areas might choose to add the crescent to their regional flags. (ANI)
- Muslim lawyer pledges to 'cover Russia in blood' - Apr 25, 2012
- Number of priests in Russian armed forces to triple - Nov 18, 2011
- Just half of Russians know national anthem - Aug 23, 2012
- Russian paratroopers receive chapel on wheels - May 28, 2011
- Russian church urges Kremlin not to ignore vote protests - Jan 08, 2012
- Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Russia to send man to moon by 2030 - Apr 28, 2012
- Putin denies role in Pussy Riot case - Sep 06, 2012
- Church activists protest Moscow gay film fest - Apr 28, 2012
- Russia plans 'child abandonment' centres - May 31, 2011
- US, Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills - Aug 23, 2012
- Russia starts building moon spaceship - Jul 20, 2012
- Russia imposes entry ban on Japanese officials for comments on islands dispute - Mar 03, 2011
- Topless protester cuts down Cross in Ukraine - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: coat of arms, condemnation, crescent moon, crosses, crowns, dmitry medvedev, double headed eagle, executive committee, fox news, islamist, muslim areas, regional flags, russian association, russian orthodox church, russian orthodox cross, russian president, russian state, spiritual association, state emblem, vladimir putin