Illegal immigration to US slows downOctober 3rd, 2008 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 3 (DPA) The flow of undocumented immigrants into the United States slowed down over the past year, according to a study released by the Pew Hispanic Centre.The research shows a fall in the total number of illegal immigrants, to 11.9 million in 2008 from 12.4 million in 2007. However, the centre would not formally say the number had in fact declined because of the study’s margin of error.
“We cannot say with confidence that there was a decrease, but with full certainty there was a halt,” said senior demographer Jeffrey Passel.
The study further confirmed that the flow of immigrants has been slowing since 2005. In the period from 2000-2004 the annual inflow of illegal migrants was about 800,000, while from 2005-2008 it was 500,000.
The research centre said it had no data as to why potential migrants declined to travel north or why those who had been in the United States chose to leave.
However, based on other studies, D’Vera Cohn - co-author of the report - suggested that “the slowdown of the economy” and the increase in police pressure on migrants were among the likely reasons.
Among an estimated 11.9 million illegal immigrants in the United States, 59 percent come from Mexico, according to the Pew Centre, while a further 22 percent are from the rest of Latin America and the Caribbean.
According to different studies by the centre, 63 percent of Latinos in the United States claim that their situation worsened over recent years, 57 percent say they fear their own deportation or that of a relative, a year later only 53 percent said they were worried about it.
- Asians, Hispanics drive joint family surge in US - Aug 31, 2011
- Latinos still back Obama over Republicans - Dec 29, 2011
- One in 12 babies born to illegal immigrants in US - Aug 12, 2010
- By 2050, whites 'will be the minority race in US' - Mar 26, 2011
- Indians among illegal immigrants seek relief from deportation - Aug 16, 2012
- New York, Washington, 44 more US cities not white any more (Lead) - Apr 15, 2011
- New York, Washington, 44 other US cities not white any more - Apr 15, 2011
- Talent young illegal immigrants can stay in US: Obama - Jun 16, 2012
- US had 11.5 mn undocumented immigrants in 2011 - Mar 26, 2012
- U.S. immigrant population reaches 40 million - Oct 08, 2011
- Latino voters sticking with Obama, Democrats: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Indian Americans grow to 3.2 mn, top in income - Nov 16, 2011
- Over 100mn people joined Twitter in 2010 - Dec 11, 2010
- Congress importing illegal migrants in Assam: Jaitley - Aug 09, 2012
- US has nearly 11 mn illegal migrants; India major source country - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: cohn co, illegal immigration, illegal migrants, immigrants in the united states, latinos in the united states, number of illegal immigrants, passel, police pressure, undocumented immigrants, vera cohn