Illegal immigrant caught after 28 years in Hong KongMarch 6th, 2009 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, March 6 (DPA) Hong Kong officials are considering whether to send home an illegal immigrant who lived undetected in the wealthy former British colony for 28 years, a news report said Friday.
Wong Shen-chee, who is now 71, arrived from Indonesia in 1981 on a 90-day visitor visa and has never left the high-rise city of seven million since, the South China Morning Post reported.
He avoided detection by taking only low-paid, part-time jobs in restaurants and was unable to get hospital treatment for lung and kidney conditions because of his illegal status.
Wong fell on hard times and was arrested for stealing milk powder in a supermarket in February. He had only 500 Hong Kong dollars ($64) left when police arrested him.
At a court hearing Thursday, Wong pleaded guilty to theft and overstaying his visa, the Post reported. He was fined 200 Hong Kong dollars ($25) and jailed for six months.
Magistrate Andrew Ma said Wong might have to be deported back to Indonesia at the end of his sentence, though he admitted he might face difficulties adapting back to life in his home country.
A decision on whether to allow Wong to remain in Hong Kong is expected to be taken at a later date.
- US national arrested in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2011
- US citizen detained at Peshawar airport - May 14, 2011
- Hong Kong advises Indians to abide by immigration rules - May 17, 2010
- 33 Bangladeshi migrants held in Britain - Jul 05, 2012
- Hong Kong worried about rising illegal Pak migrants - May 22, 2010
- IAF chief to visit Singapore air show - Feb 13, 2012
- Pak launches crackdown against illegal foreigners in aftermath of Aaron's arrest - Mar 01, 2011
- US seeks consular access to American held in Pakistan on 'illegal stay' charges - Feb 26, 2011
- Over 100,000 cigarettes seized in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2012
- Former Chinese football bosses jailed for bribery - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian arrested in Goa for overstaying - Aug 03, 2012
- New Zealander charged with stealing millions - Jan 05, 2012
- Hong Kong seizes $98 million cocaine - Jul 07, 2012
- Colombian woman arrested for illegal stay - Feb 10, 2011
- Thailand To Jail Overstayers - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: 28 years, chee, china morning post, court hearing, dpa, hong kong dollars, hong kong officials, illegal immigrant, illegal status, indonesia, kidney, magistrate, milk powder, news report, part time jobs, six months, south china morning, south china morning post, supermarket, visitor visa