IIT Hyderabad to grow with Japanese partnershipOctober 22nd, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Oct 22 (IANS) A new Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) coming up in Hyderabad will see close Japanese partnership at the post-graduate level in key areas, including setting up of a Japanese-style business management course, and increased funding for purchase of technical and research equipment to make it into an institution of excellence.A working group that has submitted its report for establishing such an institution with Japanese-Indian collaboration said environment and energy, digital communication, design and manufacturing, nano-technology and nano-science, and civil engineering would be fields that would given a fresh thrust.
Former prime minister Shinzo Abe and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had set up a working group in August last year to zero in on a new IIT that would see Japanese assistance.
“Hyderabad, connected internationally and one of the fastest growing Indian cities with numerous R& D centres, universities and multi-national companies was the ideal choice,” said a Japanese foreign ministry official.
In addition courses on Japanese-style business management, a key strength of the country’s industry, will also be introduced. While faculty and student exchanges will happen regularly, the premier institute will also set up a Japanese language course for students that could help them find jobs in Japan in the future.
In August, 120 undergraduate students were admitted at a temporary IIT campus and officials part of the working group pointed out that the institute would expand its programmes and move into the official campus in 2010.
“Collaboration on the new IIT will be implemented with a long term perspective in mind based on human exchange an joint work. This will be viewed possibly as a ten-year programme,” said a senior official.
- IIT Patna seeks partnerships with US varsities - Aug 24, 2011
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- India, Japan to continue robust defence ties - Sep 21, 2011
- Student exchanges between Japan, 12 Indian institutes - Apr 05, 2010
- Chennai students design nano satellite, to be launched April - Jan 06, 2011
- IIM-B students skip lunch over Anna's arrest - Aug 17, 2011
- Coaching for 30 poor IIT aspirants in Maharashtra - Jul 03, 2012
- From IIT-M, nano-scale device to detect big explosives - Aug 28, 2012
- Tea house, pagoda huts et al - a Japanese Garden in Chandigarh! - Jan 30, 2011
- Canada's Carleton to have ties with IIT Mumbai, Jindal Global University - Feb 04, 2011
- Sibal meets directors of new IITs - Oct 21, 2010
- Students plan protest during PM's Hyderabad University visit - Oct 18, 2010
- India, Japan to launch joint research project - Jul 16, 2010
- More IITs may go against common entrance test - Jun 09, 2012
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
Tags: business management course, digital communication design, former prime minister, human exchange, japanese foreign ministry, japanese language course, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime minister shinzo abe