‘Iftikhar Chaudhary knew about Pak government’s plan to install Dogar as CJ ‘November 14th, 2007 - 8:28 am ICT by admin
Hailing from Shikarpur in Sindh, Justice Dogar was elevated to the Sindh High Court on April 10, 1995, the Dawn reported.
He was elevated to the Supreme Court on April 28, 2000, following the refusal of then Supreme Court Chief Justice Saeeduzzaman Siddiqui, as well as six other judges, to take an oath on the provisional constitutional order (PCO).
He went on to say that Benazir Bhutto’s Pakistan People’s party was actively involved in what took place in the country on Saturday.
President General Pervez Musharraf imposed the emergency in league with the beneficiaries of the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), Ahmad said.
Emergency was imposed only after the government came to know that the eleven-member bench of the Supreme Court was planning to rule against the president, and the PPP was having a fear that the apex court would strike down the controversial amnesty law.
“That is why I insist that Musharraf has acted in league with the beneficiaries of the NRO,” he said.
Ahmad said he had a feeling that Musharraf would get prompt validation for his proclamation of emergency from the present assemblies.
“He would then team up with the beneficiaries of the National Reconciliation Ordinance in the new set-up and they would triumphantly declare that they have supervised a smooth transition to democracy,” the daily quoted him, as saying.
On Saturday, Justice Javed Iqbal said the apex court was all set to pronounce a ruling on the president’s qualification to be re-elected on Thursday, but the case dragged on because Ahmad’s counsel Aitzaz Ahsan prolonged his arguments unnecessarily, sources said.
Ahmad refused to comment about his lawyer’s long-winded arguments and reluctance to place due emphasis on an important legal point. (ANI)
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- Gilani won't ask Switzerland to reopen cases against Zardari - Feb 10, 2012
- Sindh High Court quashes petition challenging Zardari's electoral eligibility - Apr 22, 2010
- Musharraf 'equal beneficiary' of NRO, must be held accountable: Pak SC - Jan 21, 2010
- List of immunity ordinance beneficiaries missing - Sep 07, 2009
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistan apex court raps government over NRO case - Jan 10, 2012
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- SC gives veiled threat to Pak govt over non-implementation of NRO verdict - Sep 25, 2010
- Pak SC adjourns hearing of NRO review petition till Tuesday - Apr 11, 2011
- Research documents on Zardari's immunity stolen - Mar 16, 2012
- Musharraf hints at returning to Pak amid judiciary, executive tussle - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: amnesty law, apex court, benazir bhutto, beneficiaries, chief justice, election commissioner, general pervez musharraf, javed iqbal, national reconciliation, nro, pco, ppp government, president, sindh high court, supreme court