If Gaddafi stays, American enemies will get emboldened: RumsfeldMarch 28th, 2011 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
Pensacola (Florida, US), Mar. 28 (ANI): Former US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has said that if Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi remains in power, it will damage the prestige of the United States and embolden its enemies.
In an exclusive interview on “This Week” with ABC News’, Rumsfeld said, “The fact is we are involved” in Libya. “And the prestige of the United States is involved.”
“Think back to the Gulf War in the early 1990s,” said Rumsfeld, who served as George W. Bush’s defense secretary from 2001-2006. “Saddam Hussein, when it was over, said he had fought the mother of all battles and President George Herbert Walker Bush was gone, Margaret Thatcher was gone, and he was still in office. And the implication of that was that he had defeated the United States,” he said.
Rumsfeld said from Pensacola, Florida, “Let there be no question: we’re now involved in Libya. And if Gaddafi stays on, he will feel he has fought the mother of all battles against the United States and it will be damaging to us just as our demeanor in Somalia was damaging, the situation in Lebanon was damaging and that will embolden others of his ilk.”
He also explained that the question of Gaddafi’s longevity as leader of Libya had rippling effects.
“If you put yourself in the shoes of the rebels,” he said, “they wonder whether or not the coalition has an interest in Gaddafi leaving. There’s a great deal of ambiguity about that.”
“Gaddafi’s forces wonder whether Gaddafi will be leaving - and that same ambiguity affects their decision-making,” he said. “Until that’s clarified, it seems to me, we’ll have a much more difficult time. I think the goal has to be that Gaddafi leaves. (ANI)
- Donald Rumsfeld says forces in Libya were "confused" - Mar 24, 2011
- Obama did nothing to deserve 2009 Nobel Peace Prize: Rumsfeld - Feb 21, 2011
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- NATO urged to adopt Gaddafi's assassination policy - Apr 25, 2011
- Libya heading into civil war - Mar 02, 2011
- Saddam placed $60m bounty on Rumsfeld's daughters' heads as revenge for sons' killings - Feb 09, 2011
- Obama urged to clear confusion over US' interest in Libya mission - Mar 28, 2011
- Arab world unrest: pitched battles in Libya continue (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Russia calls for end to 'indiscriminate use of force' in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- Ex-aide of Powell says Bush 'knew Guantánamo prisoners were innocent' - Apr 09, 2010
- "All my people love me, will die to protect me," says Gaddafi - Mar 01, 2011
- UK PM Cameron says British forces in action over Libya, says it is legal - Mar 20, 2011
- Italy leading move to get Gaddafi liability free exile in Africa - Mar 29, 2011
- Arab world turmoil: Libya tense, sectarian clashes in Bahrain (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Anyone advising to have wars like Iraq, Afghanistan should have head examined: Gates - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,