Icy Roads Prevent Virginia Schools From Conducting ClassesDecember 17th, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Dec 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Freezing temperatures and extremely dangerous conditions of the roads have led to the shut down of many schools and colleges in Virginia. The area has been experiencing heavy snowfall since the last few days. As a result of which classes have been canceled. Most schools in the southern US state of Virginia remained closed on Thursday. Some of them did conduct classes but according to sources, classes started late on the day.
According to reports roads in most of the Virginian counties were steeped in between 2-5 inches of snow. This condition is undoubtedly posing grave threat for the travelers. Snow fall in the region has made it hazardous for people to travel on these icy roads. During the time when conditions remain like this reports of numerous road accidents crop up. As a result it is perilous for the school goers to travel to schools amidst these weather conditions. Bus routes are also prone to danger as cases of bus accidents are very common owing to this bad weather. The constant snow and freezing rain on Thursday have created unrest for the travelers.
Reports of hundreds of accidents have already been registered. A source said that of the several recent accidents four were fatal. Hence, alerts have already been issued out on the part of the educational institutes. As of now they have not yet made any confirmation if classes will be held on Friday or not. A spokesperson of a Virginia said that every thing depends on the weather conditions. There have also been power losses due to the bad weather changes. On Thursday night a party slated at the Governor’s Mansion in Virginia had been canceled owing to this problem.
- Snowy Weather Leads To School Closings - Dec 17, 2010
- Gwinnett County Schools To Remain Closed On Monday Due To Bad Weather Conditions - Jan 10, 2011
- Howard County Public Schools Not To Dismiss Classes Completely - Dec 17, 2010
- Freezing Weather Conditions Force Schools To Remain Closed In Georgia - Dec 16, 2010
- Snow disrupts travel across Europe, hits economy (Third Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Bad Weather Conditions Force Schools In And Around Michigan To Cancel Classes - Dec 13, 2010
- Wake County Schools To Remain Closed Owing To Inclement Weather - Dec 16, 2010
- Indiana Road Conditions Critical, Motorists Alerted - Dec 14, 2010
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Heavy Snowfall Causes Severe Traffic Mess In Seattle - Nov 23, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Chicago Blizzard 2011 Disrupts Normal Life, Smacks Cities - Feb 03, 2011
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: bad weather, bus accidents, bus routes, colleges in virginia, dangerous conditions, dey, educational institutes, freezing rain, goers, grave threat, heavy snowfall, power losses, road accidents, snow fall, spokesperson, state of virginia, thursday night, virginia schools, weather changes, weather conditions