Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfacesJanuary 28th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 28 (ANI): Experts are flummoxed after a self-portrait of Renaissance master Raphael, similar to that on display at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, was uncovered from a bank vault.
“The two portraits are apparently identical, so it’s pretty natural to wonder which one is the real one,” Discovery News quoted Alessandro Vezzosi as saying.
Vezzosi is the author of the book ‘Raffaello Universale’, which has a mention of the new portrait.
According to historical records, it was in the possession of the Riccis, a Florentine family in 1885. Bought by writer Nicola Lisi in the 1930s, it was then attributed to Raphael by art historian Mario Salmi.
In 1984, the late art historian Gian Lorenzo Mellini published a study on the artwork, calling it a “new Raphael self-portrait.”
“The study raised a great interest in the art world. There were even plans to display the two portraits at an exhibition at the Uffizi. Unfortunately Mellini died, his discovery was forgotten, and the painting — owned by private collectors — returned to a bank vault,” Vezzosi, director of the Museo Ideale Leonardo Da Vinci, said.
“It is indeed a very fine painting, masterly done. Some details, such as the chin dimple, recall the most undisputed Raphael self portrait, the one in the The School of Athens fresco in the Vatican,” Vezzosi said.
He said that the new painting showed more intensity as compared to the other one.
“Both paintings could come from Raphael’s workshop. We know that he made or had it made by his pupils several replicas of his works,” Vezzosi said. (ANI)
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Was Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa a man? - Feb 03, 2011
- Historians search for Mona Lisa remains - May 02, 2011
- Hunt for Mona Lisa: Archaeologists find new tomb - May 13, 2011
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Andy Warhol self-portrait goes on display for the first time in 30 yrs - Feb 12, 2011
- Adele, Cowell paint portraits for Queen - Apr 09, 2012
- Leonardo da Vinci had long blond hair and piercing blue eyes - Feb 21, 2009
- Now, view high-resolution images of Italian masterpieces online - Oct 02, 2010
- Michelangelo's self-portrait found hidden in his final painting - Jul 02, 2009
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Mona Lisa landscape location found - Jan 10, 2011
- India's Mughal era artistic legacy on display in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Nude 'Mona Lisa' goes on display in Italy - Jun 16, 2009
- Sylvester Stallone turns painter, makes money - Dec 04, 2009
Tags: 1930s, art historian, art world, bank vault, discovery news, fine painting, florentine family, jan 28, leonardo da vinci, lisi, new painting, private collectors, raphael, renaissance master, replicas, salmi, school of athens, self portrait, uffizi gallery, uffizi gallery in florence