ICC will ensure sanctity of Ramadan during Champions TrophyAugust 12th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Aug 12 (IANS) Haroon Lorgat, the chief executive of the International Cricket Council (ICC), has given an assurance that all possible steps are being taken to maintain the sanctity of Ramadan during the Champions Trophy. The eight-nation tournament will be played in Pakistan Sept 12-28 when the people would be observing Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar.
“I fast during Ramadan and know that special measures need to be taken for the spectators for matches played during that month,” said Lorgat, a South African who took over from Australia’s Malcolm Speed earlier this year.
Lorgat told reporters here at the National Stadium on Tuesday that the ICC would schedule the Champions Trophy matches in such a manner that the spectators could break their fast without any inconvenience.
It is expected that the matches, which would all be day-night affairs, will be played in a way that the innings break will come at around dusk when Muslims break their fast in Ramadan.
- ICC ensures Ramadan facilities for players, spectators during Champs Trophy - Aug 13, 2008
- ICC CEO Lorgat to step down next year - Nov 22, 2011
- Lorgat calls on cricketing world to challenge India - Jan 14, 2012
- ICC defends abolishing runners, says batsmen were misusing it - Jun 30, 2011
- ICC executive board to discuss Test championship - Oct 09, 2011
- ICC rubbishes report of replica WC trophy given to Team India - Apr 04, 2011
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Ticket prices to be slashed for Champions Trophy - Aug 13, 2008
- T20 helping cricket grow beyond traditional boundaries: ICC chief - Apr 12, 2010
- ICC poised to dump Champions Trophy for new Future Tours Program - Nov 29, 2010
- Gavaskar inducted into ICC Cricket Hall of Fame - Feb 09, 2012
- ICC's All-time Dream Test team a joke: Alec Stewart - Jul 19, 2011
- ICC board proposes Dave Richardson as CEO - May 10, 2012
- ICC shifts India, England World Cup match from under renovation Eden Gardens - Jan 27, 2011
- ICC turns down BCCI's request; Eden's replacement by Jan 31 - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: australia, champions trophy, chief executive, dusk, haroon lorgat, inconvenience, innings break, international cricket council, islamic calendar, karachi, measures, muslims, nation tournament, night affairs, pakistan, ramadan, sanctity, spectators