ICC prosecutor seeks arrest warrant for Sudan’s president (Second lead)July 14th, 2008 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, July 14 (DPA) Chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo of the International Criminal Court (ICC) here requested the court Monday to issue an arrest warrant against Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir, president of Sudan. In a statement, Moreno-Ocampo said he had presented the court with evidence showing that al-Bashir committed the crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Darfur.
“The prosecutor has concluded there are reasonable grounds to believe that Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir bears criminal responsibility in relation to 10 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes,” the statement said.
“Al Bashir masterminded and implemented a plan to destroy in substantial part the Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa groups, on account of their ethnicity. His motives were largely political. His alibi was a ‘counterinsurgency.’ His intent was genocide,” the prosecutor said.
He also said al-Bashir “obstructs international assistance” and is responsible for killing and torturing the civilian population of Darfur.
Moreno-Ocampo further stated that he had evidence that al-Bashir “mobilised the entire state apparatus to subject the 2,450,000 people living in camps to conditions of life calculated to bring about their physical destruction.”
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- ICC requests arrest warrant against Libya's Muammar Gaddafi - May 17, 2011
- ICC probes gender crimes in Libya, calls for efforts to prevent escape of Gaddafi's son - Nov 03, 2011
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- Gaddafi killing smacks of war crime: Prosecutor - Dec 16, 2011
- Libyan leaders may face UN arrest for war crimes - May 04, 2011
- ICC prosecutor requests arrest warrants for Libyans for alleged crimes against humanity - May 04, 2011
- International Criminal Court seeks Gaddafi's arrest - May 16, 2011
- ICC in possible surrender talks with Gaddafi's son - Oct 29, 2011
- Gaddafi gave sex drugs, ordered rape of women? - Jun 09, 2011
- ICC denies issuing arrest warrant against Sudanese president - Feb 12, 2009
- International court prosecutor seeks Sudan president's arrest (Lead) - Jul 14, 2008
- International court issues warrant against Gaddafi - Jun 27, 2011
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: ahmad, al bashir, alibi, arrest warrant against, chief prosecutor, civilian population, crimes against humanity, criminal responsibility, darfur, genocide, hague, international assistance, international criminal court, luis moreno ocampo, omar hassan, physical destruction, president of sudan, state apparatus, war crimes, zaghawa