ICC denies issuing arrest warrant against Sudanese presidentFebruary 12th, 2009 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Feb 12 (DPA) The International Criminal Court has denied that it has issued a warrant for the arrest of Sudanese president Omar Hassan al-Bashir, the Dutch news wire ANP reported Thursday.
“The information is incorrect, there is no arrest warrant at this stage,” an ICC spokeswoman for The Hague-based court said.
Further details were not immediately available after the New York Times Wednesday had reported on its website that the ICC had decided to issue an arrest warrant for the Sudanese president. It would mark the first time the ICC would seek the arrest of a sitting head of state.
But doubts about the development already surfaced late Wednesday after a spokeswoman at UN headquarters in New York denied the report that UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had been notified by the court that a warrant would be issued.
“No decision has been received by the secretary general,” she said late Wednesday. “We do not anticipate receiving such communication. We do not normally receive decisions of the court.”
In July, ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo called for Bashir’s arrest on allegations of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sudan’s western Darfur region, where an ethnic conflict has raged since 2003.
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- ICC probes gender crimes in Libya, calls for efforts to prevent escape of Gaddafi's son - Nov 03, 2011
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Gaddafi's son will face justice: ICC prosecutor - Nov 10, 2011
- ICC in possible surrender talks with Gaddafi's son - Oct 29, 2011
- Sudan's President Bashir transferred '$9bn in UK banks': Wikileaks - Dec 18, 2010
- Libyan leaders may face UN arrest for war crimes - May 04, 2011
- ICC prosecutor requests arrest warrants for Libyans for alleged crimes against humanity - May 04, 2011
- ICC requests arrest warrant against Libya's Muammar Gaddafi - May 17, 2011
- UN court issues arrest warrant for Sudanese president - Mar 04, 2009
- Gaddafi's fugitive son says he is innocent - Oct 29, 2011
- International court issues warrant against Gaddafi - Jun 27, 2011
- Sudan's president calls ICC 'a mosquito in the ear of elephant' - Jan 30, 2009
- International court prosecutor seeks Sudan president's arrest (Lead) - Jul 14, 2008
- ICC prosecutor seeks arrest warrant for Sudan's president (Second lead) - Jul 14, 2008
Tags: al bashir, anp, arrest warrant against, ban ki moon, chief prosecutor, crimes against humanity, darfur, dutch news, ethnic conflict, hague, head of state, international criminal court, luis moreno, new york times, news wire, omar hassan, sudanese president, un secretary general, war crimes, western darfur