IAEA meet in wake of Iran electionJune 15th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, June 15 (DPA) Diplomats gathered in Vienna Monday for a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on the stalemate with Iran over its nuclear programme - just days after Iran’s hard-line president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected.
Iran has ignored recent UN Security Council resolutions intended to get the country to halt its controversial uranium enrichment programme.
Instead, Tehran further expanded the enrichment plant in Natanz. It also did not cooperate with the IAEA over alleged studies related to nuclear weapons, the agency’s Director General Mohamed ElBaradei said in his latest report prepared for the regular meeting of the IAEA governing board this week.
President Ahmadinejad said Sunday he would not change his nuclear policies, while his defeated rival in last Friday’s election, Mir-Hossein Moussavi, had called for continuing talks with Western countries on this issue.
The 35 countries on the board were also scheduled this week to discuss the alleged secret nuclear programme in Syria, where the IAEA recently said it had found new traces of man-made uranium.
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- Iran succeeds in enriching uranium 20 percent: Ahmadinejad (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010
- Iran appoints new atomic chief - Jul 18, 2009
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran seeks changes to international uranium deal - Oct 30, 2009
- Iran issues threats after IAEA resolution (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 27, 2009
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- Pressure mounts on Iran at ElBaradei's final IAEA board meeting (Lead) - Nov 26, 2009
- IAEA inspects Syrian reactor for second time - Nov 18, 2009
- Iran is enriching uranium at secret site, says UN - Feb 25, 2012
- IAEA wants Iran to comply without delay on n-issue - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, enrichment plant, governing board, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, iran election, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mohamed elbaradei, moussavi, natanz, nuclear policies, nuclear weapons, president ahmadinejad, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, security council resolutions, un security council, un security council resolutions, uranium enrichment, western countries