I won’t see you again, British gunman said before rampageJune 3rd, 2010 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 3 (IANS) The taxi driver, who killed 12 people in a shooting rampage in Britain before turning the gun on himself, had given a chilling warning of his intention to a friend, saying: “I won’t see you again.”
Peter Ledder, a friend of Derrick Bird who killed 12 and injured 25, told The Times: “I came into work in the morning and heard what was happening. He must have had it pre-planned.”
Bird had told him at midnight Tuesday: “I won’t see you again.”
Spoken of as a quiet and unassuming man, Bird Wednesday within a few hours killed friends, colleagues and complete strangers.
He opened fire randomly while driving from Whitehaven through the villages of west Cumbria.
Some victims were called to his car only to be shot dead, others were working by the roadside or passing on bicycles.
Ashley Gaytor told ITN that the taxi driver pulled up beside her and pointed a gun at her.
She said: “I held my ears and ducked down to protect myself and the gunshot was fired. I felt it go past my ponytail on the back of my hair.”
A while later, Bird shot himself in woods near the hamlet of Boot.
His twin brother was found dead at home and the family’s solicitor, Kevin J. Commons, was also said to have been killed.
These twin murders were believed to have happened several hours before the first reports of shooting in Whitehaven.
A relative told the newspaper that the twins’ other brother, Brian Bird, was in shock.
“He is sitting there knowing that one of his brothers has killed the other brother. God knows how that feels,” she was quoted as saying.
Taxi drivers said that Bird had been in an argument the night before and that he had taken offence.
- Tax woes turned friendly cabbie Derrick Bird into mass murderer - Jun 04, 2010
- Four die as gunman goes on rampage in Britain - Jun 02, 2010
- Cumbria gunman Bird 'was obsessed with a Thai prostitute less than half his age' - Jun 05, 2010
- Britain shooting leaves 13 dead, 25 injured (Second Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- At least five dead, 25 injured in northwest England mass shootings - Jun 02, 2010
- 12 killed, 25 injured in Britain shooting (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Mass shootings in northwest England leave 13 dead, dozens hurt - Jun 02, 2010
- At least five dead after shooting spree in northwest England - Jun 02, 2010
- What secret does Neil keep from his dad? - Jul 25, 2010
- Bodybuilder dies of taser gun bolt! - Aug 18, 2011
- Prince William describes tragic helicopter mountain rescue mission - Jun 09, 2010
- Singer Zubeen Garg's ponytail cut off by fan - Jan 30, 2010
- Banks shut door on India's all-women cab service - Sep 19, 2010
- Woman survives 23-story fall in Argentina - Jan 27, 2011
- Honour killing over hijab gets life term in Canada - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: ashley, bicycles, brother brian, colleagues, derrick, ears, gunman, gunshot, hamlet, intention, june 3, murders, ponytail, rampage, solicitor, taxi driver, taxi drivers, twin brother, unassuming man, whitehaven