I was determined to win this time, says SomdevMarch 8th, 2009 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kaohsiung (Taiwan), March 8 (IANS) India’s No.1 Somdev Devvarman, who carried the Davis Cup tennis team to a sensational 3-2 triumph over Chinese Taipei, said Sunday that he was determined to win after losing all his three previous singles matches in the competition last year.
Somdev made his Davis Cup debut in a home tie against Uzbekistan last year and went down in straight sets to top player Denis Istomin. He then lost both his singles matches in India’s 4-1 loss to Romania in the World Group play-off.
But Somdev emerged a hero in his third Davis Cup by winning both his single matches including the fourth rubber against world No. 59 Lu Yen-hsun that clinched the tie for India. Somdev said the 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 win over Lu was indeed one of the best in his career.
“It is surely a very special win for me, maybe my best. Winning for India has been my dream and it feels great to do it in such a manner,” Somdev told IANS. “After the loss in Romania, I was determined to win here. I prepared well coming into this tie and am glad my hard work paid off.”
The win over Lu might have come in straight sets but the 24-year-old Virginia University graduate insists it wasn’t easy as the scores suggest.
“It wasn’t an easy win. I worked really hard and made life tough for Lu. I did not give him anything free. I made him work really hard for every point and took advantage of the fact that they were in a must win situation. I executed my plans to perfection today.”
Somdev said he did not feel any pressure playing against after Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi gave India a 2-1 lead in the doubles rubber Saturday.
“The pressure was on Lu to win. We were in a great position going into day three after Lee-Hesh won the doubles. I just focussed on playing my game and executing my plans,” the Chennai Open finalist said.
India in the next round in May will host Australia who beat Thailand 3-2 in the second round and Somdev knows it will be tough.
“We will have to play our best to win against them (Australia),” he said.
- Davis Cup: Somdev happy with weather and courts - Sep 15, 2011
- Davis Cup: India go down 1-4 to defending champions Serbia (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- India relegated, Japan through to Davis Cup World Group(Lead) - Sep 18, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev goes down fighting, India lose to Serbia (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- India to play Japan in Davis Cup World Group play-off - Jul 13, 2011
- Davis Cup: India have a tough battle against Serbia - Mar 03, 2011
- Davis Cup: Bopanna-Somdev lose marathon doubles match, India down 1-2 (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- India lose both singles, trail Brazil 0-2 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- I pushed Nishikori to step-up his game: Vardhan - Sep 18, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Somdev's strained shoulder makes him doubtful for reverse singles - Sep 17, 2011
- Davis Cup: Bopanna plays Bellucci, Somdev takes on Mello - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: chinese taipei, cup debut, davis cup, davis cup tennis, denis, home tie, kaohsiung taiwan, leander paes, lee hesh, lu yen, mahesh bhupathi, old virginia, playing my game, somdev devvarman, straight sets, tennis team, university graduate, uzbekistan, virginia university, world group