I warned Musharraf that emergency would put our relationship at risk: Admiral FallonNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
He also informed that US military aid to Pakistan is under review, as the American legislative requirements could “come into play,” potentially requiring cutoffs in aid.
A senior US official said that Musharraf had not directly informed Admiral Fallon about his decision during their Friday meeting, but it was evident what Musharraf was planning to do.
Admiral Fallon also told Musharraf that people would be “dismayed” and that “both of our countries had a lot at risk in the war on terror”, the Daily Times reported.
He emphasised his concern about “the unforeseen consequences” of the crackdown.
Fallon said Musharraf expressed “his concern about the domestic situation inside the country” and the “challenges” he personally felt he was facing.
The US is watching to see whether al Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri try to take advantage of the unrest or not, Admiral Fallon said. (ANI)
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al Qaeda deputy demands Arab armies' intervention in Libya to oust Gaddafi - Apr 15, 2011
- Clinton chose wrong place for Zawahiri claim: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Bin Laden, Zawahiri might be in hiding in Pak's Bajaur Agency: Musharraf to McCain - Dec 03, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- US, Pakistan struck deal on Osama raid in 2001 - May 10, 2011
Tags: admiral, al qaeda, ayman al zawahiri, cnn, crackdown, cutoffs, dismayed, fallon, legislative requirements, musharraf, osama bin laden, proclamation, relationship, risk, unforeseen consequences, unrest, us military aid, war on terror