I requested Deshmukh to accept Patil’s resignation: PawarDecember 1st, 2008 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 1 (IANS) Chief of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Sharad Pawar Monday said he requested Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh to accept his deputy R.R. Patil’s resignation.Patil, the deputy chief minister, in the morning submitted his resignation to Deshmukh to own up moral responsibility for the Mumbai terror siege that killed at least 183 people.
“Today he (Patil) communicated his resignation to the chief minister. I requested (Deshmukh) to accept the resignation,” Pawar, who is also a union minister, told reporters here.
Patil is a senior leader of Pawar’s NCP - a coalition ally of the Congress led government in Maharashtra.
Pawar said Patil had offered to step down soon after the attack Wednesday but held back after his request.
“After such a serious problem in Mumbai everybody was shocked… I requested him to let the (anti-terror) operation continue,” he said.
Patil, who was also the state home minister, had drawn flak for his remark that “small incidents like this do happen in big cities”, a reference to the Mumbai terror attack that began Wednesday and went on till Saturday.
He was speaking to reporters Saturday, when the operation to flush out terrorists was still on at the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower hotel.
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- Deshmukh, R.R. Patil offer to quit after terror attack (Second Lead) - Dec 01, 2008
- Deshmukh's fate hangs in balance, R.R. Patil quits after terror attack (Roundup, combining different series) - Dec 01, 2008
- Maharashtra leaders condole Deshmukh's death (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- 15 leaders have been Maharashtra chief minister in 50 years - Nov 11, 2010
- Congress, NCP bicker in Maharashtra; Sena for central rule - Feb 01, 2012
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
- R.R. Patil follows 'conscience', submits resignation (Lead) - Dec 01, 2008
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Presidents, leaders, stars, industrialists at Wankhede - Apr 02, 2011
- Improve intelligence to thwart blasts: Pawar - Aug 04, 2012
- Decision on Deshmukh after consulting allies: Antony - Dec 01, 2008
- 30 Mumbai airport employees' passes missing: NCP legislator - Mar 29, 2011