Hussey says he’s motivated by pre-Ashes tauntsNovember 24th, 2010 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Brisbane (Australia), Nov.24 (ANI): Embattled Australian middle order batsman Michael Hussey is determined to enjoy this Ashes series, and claims that he is quite motivated by the pre-series taunts.
The 35-year-old knows the selectors are watching him and itching to bring in Usman Khawaja or Callum Ferguson as possible replacements.
“Half the challenge is to block out all the external distractions that go on. It’s definitely been a lot tougher. A lot of stuff has filtered through. In some ways it’s been quite motivating. Certainly, when I was playing against Victoria in the second innings, I felt like I was batting well, but there were negative comments that were driving me on further and further,” Hussey told Fox Sports.
Hussey made an 18-ball duck in the first innings of the Shield match and was under enormous pressure going into the second. He scored a fighting 118, showing the young challengers that they still had some distance to cover.
“In my mind I still have the belief that I’m good enough to be in the team, but there’s been a lot of speculation from a lot of different parts of the media. I’ve been trying to block it out and I haven’t read or watched much at all,” he added.
“I want to enjoy it, enjoy that pressure. I don’t want to walk away at the end of my career, (thinking) ‘geez I absolutely hated playing for Australia,” Hussey said.
“I want to go away knowing that I played the way I wanted to play and that I gave myself the best chance of performing well and I enjoyed every minute of it. Go away a happy man rather than having regrets,” he added.
“I’m not changing my game. I don’t believe I need to make any technical changes. It’s important to come out with a really positive mind, trust my game,” Hussey said. (ANI)
- An Englishman who has always put belief back into Mike Hussey - Nov 14, 2010
- Inspired by Tendulkar, Oz's 'Mr. Cricket' Hussey has no plans to retire - Oct 28, 2010
- Arthur backs Khawaja to come good in Tests - Dec 17, 2011
- Ferguson looking forward to fill Hussey's big boots in World Cup - Feb 09, 2011
- We will keep India under pressure, says Hussey - Dec 23, 2011
- Ponting, Hussey to play against India on Boxing Day, says Arthur - Dec 13, 2011
- Humbled Khawaja recalls aspects of Test debut - Jan 09, 2011
- Khawaja set to play for English county Derbyshire - Jan 21, 2011
- David Hussey looking forward to World Cup's intense pressure - Feb 12, 2011
- Oz Ashes squad composition has caused uncertainty among players: Arthur - Nov 17, 2010
- David Hussey, willing to travel and bat till he gets Test call-up - Aug 08, 2010
- If we lose again, will probably be looking for another job: Ponting - Dec 29, 2010
- Ponting wants to carry on even after India series - Dec 28, 2011
- Don't feel the need to pass the baton on: Hussey - Jan 22, 2012
- Hussey admits that pressure is on him to perform in WC 2011 - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,