Husband charged with murder of ‘Indian-origin woman’ in New ZealandJanuary 29th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland (New Zealand), Jan 28 (ANI): The husband of Ranjeeta Sharma, the Indian-origin woman who was burnt alive on the side of a Waikato road in Auckland, New Zealand, has been charged with her murder in the Hamilton District Court.
Fiji police had taken Diwesh Kumar Sharma, the victim’s husband, into custody earlier this week and he returned to New Zealand along with his four-year-old son yesterday.
Sharma appeared before a community magistrate this morning, and was remanded in custody till Tuesday for a further appearance, Stuff.co.nz reports.
The magistrate also refused an application for name suppression, saying that media had already brought out the case to public notice, and added that suppression of name was not sensible.
Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall has claimed today that Sharma was not arrested by Fiji police as he voluntarily returned to New Zealand.
“One of the main priorities for officers in working in Fiji had been establishing the ongoing care and protection of the victim’s four-year-old son who has returned to New Zealand,’ he added.
Meanwhile, Child, Youth and Family Midlands Regional Director Greg Versalko said that his organisation was taking care of what best could be done for the young boy.
Sharma had left for Fiji soon after Ranjeeta burnt body was discovered last week in New Zealand. (ANI)
- Kiwi police confirm burnt body as being that of an Indian woman - Jan 24, 2011
- Husband, son of Indian-origin woman 'burnt to death' located in Fiji - Jan 25, 2011
- Funeral rites of burnt Indian-origin woman to be held in Fiji - Jan 27, 2011
- Indian-origin woman burning case: Kiwi Police interviewing 'person of interest' - Jan 27, 2011
- Slain Indian-origin woman's missing husband returns - Jan 28, 2011
- New Zealand police in Fiji for Indian origin woman's death case - Jan 26, 2011
- Murdered Indian origin woman's husband in police custody till Feb.28 - Feb 01, 2011
- Murdered Indian-origin woman's husband returns to N.Zealand - Jan 28, 2011
- Slain Indian-origin woman's husband faces murder charge - Jan 29, 2011
- Husband of burnt Auckland Indian woman was son of Hindu priest - Jan 26, 2011
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Kiwi banker steals $18m from customers, spends $3.4m on prostitutes! - Mar 18, 2010
- Turkish court to apply New Zealand law in custody case - Sep 18, 2010
- Footballer accused of running cocaine smuggling ring - Jan 23, 2011
- Engineer held for killing colleague - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: appearance, auckland new zealand, detective, fiji police, hamilton district court, indian origin, jan 28, kumar sharma, magistrate, name suppression, new zealand auckland, ongoing care, priorities, regional director, sergeant, stuff co nz