Hurricane Ida kills 40 in El SalvadorNovember 9th, 2009 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
San Salvador, Nov 8 (IANS) At least 40 people have been killed in floods caused by the hurricane Ida that swept El Salvador, interior minister said Sunday.
The government has declared a state of emergency in five of the Central American nation’s departments, Humberto Centeno told a press conference, Xinhua reported.
More victims were expected to be found as rescue is underway, he said.
The tropical depression Ida is moving across the Central American region, including Mexico and Nicaragua, causing huge damages and leaving thousands of people homeless. It has strengthened off the Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula and is heading the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.
According to the US National Hurricane Center (NHC), Ida was a category one on the five-level Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale, moving northwestward at 11 km per hour with winds over 120 km per hour.
The NHC had warned of heavy rainfall which could lead to dangerous floods, mudslides and large waves
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- More than 90 dead in floods in El Salvador - Nov 09, 2009
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Over 100 dead in El Salvador flooding (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Tropical storm Agatha pours over Guatemala and El Salvador - Jun 02, 2010
- Hurricane Paula Makes Way Towards Mexico - Oct 13, 2010
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Tropical storm Rina could strengthen in the next couple of days - Oct 24, 2011
- Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Hurricane Earl threatens Caribbean - Aug 30, 2010
- 130 killed in El Salvador floods, mudslides (Lead) - Nov 10, 2009
- Bermuda on alert as Hurricane Leslie approaches - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: centeno, central american nation, damages, el salvador, floods, gulf of mexico, interior minister, national hurricane center, nhc, nicaragua, rainfall, san salvador, simpson hurricane scale, state of emergency, tropical depression, waves, xinhua, yucatan peninsula