Hurricane Earl threatens CaribbeanAugust 30th, 2010 - 7:19 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 30 (DPA) An Atlantic tropical storm became a hurricane Sunday as it took aim at the eastern Caribbean, forecasters said.
Hurricane Earl was to reach the Leeward Islands at the edge of the Caribbean late Sunday or early Monday, the US National Hurricane Centre in Miami said.
Hurricane warnings were in place for the islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Anguilla, Saint Martin, Saint Barthelemy, Saba, Saint Eustatius and the British Virgin Islands. The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico were under a hurricane watch.
Earl was a category one storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane strength with sustained winds of 140 km per hour, but was expected to strengthen and become a major hurricane Monday, the hurricane centre said.
Meanwhile, a separate storm, Hurricane Danielle, was continuing to bring strong surf to the Atlantic islands of Bermuda. The category one storm was forecast to weaken in the next 48 hours.
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Hurricane Earl moving across the northern Leeward Islands - Aug 30, 2010
- Public Advisory Issued as Hurricane Earl Strengthens to Category 3 - Aug 30, 2010
- Hurricane Earl becomes major category three storm as it nears the Virgin Islands - Aug 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm, Fiona, Not Likely To Take On The Strength Of A Hurricane - Sep 02, 2010
- Hurricane Earl may strike U.S. east coast - Sep 01, 2010
- Earl becomes a major category three hurricane - Aug 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Emily forms in the Caribbean, heads for the Dominican Republic - Aug 02, 2011
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
- EU spends millions on office in Barbados - Jul 30, 2012
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- Bermuda on alert as Hurricane Leslie approaches - Sep 07, 2012
- Hurricane Irene weakens slightly as it marches toward North Carolina - Aug 26, 2011
- Tropical Depression Seven forms in the eastern Atlantic, set to become hurricane - Aug 25, 2010
- Hurricane Earl threatens US East Coast - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: antigua barbuda, atlantic islands, atlantic tropical storm, british virgin islands, early monday, forecasters, hurricane danielle, hurricane earl, hurricane strength, hurricane warnings, hurricane watch, leeward islands, national hurricane centre, nevis anguilla, saffir simpson scale, saint barthelemy, saint eustatius, saint kitts nevis, sustained winds, us virgin islands