Hundreds of suspects arrested for Nigeria attacksJanuary 26th, 2012 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Abuja, Jan 26 (IANS) Hundreds of foreign nationals, believed to be from neighbouring Chad, have been arrested in Nigeria for the massacre of 186 people, including an Indian, last week, Xinhua reported.
The killings took place in Nigeria’s second largest city Kano in Kano state. Boko Haram extremists were said to be behind the Jan 20 massacre.
A statement from state police commissioner Ibrahim Idris said most of the suspects speak Hausa, Kanuri and mostly Chadian languages. The exact number of arrests was, however, not disclosed.
Police also recovered 10 vehicles heavily loaded with explosive devices, probably for suicide missions.
A 23-year-old Indian was killed and six other Indians, including two children, were wounded as heavily armed Islamists carried out a deadly Mumbai-style terror attack.
Kevalkumar Kalidas Rajput, who hailed from Gujarat and worked for Kano-based company Relchem since March 2011, was killed, the Indian high commission in Nigeria said.
His two Nepali colleagues, Hari Prasad Bhusal and Raj Singh, also died when their car entered a scene of hostilities, the mission said in a statement.
- Nigeria witnesses 11 more killings (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nigeria terror: Government to bring home Indian's body - Jan 23, 2012
- Indian, 161 others die in Mumbai-style Nigeria terror (Third Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian killed, six Indians hurt in Nigeria terror attack (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian among 160 killed in Nigeria terror attack (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian killed in Nigerian terror attack - Jan 22, 2012
- Nigeria attracts enterprising Indians despite terror - Feb 05, 2012
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- Two killed in Nigeria bank attack - Aug 26, 2012
- Two Boko Haram commanders killed in Nigeria - Sep 21, 2012
- Nigeria violence toll rises to 185 - Jan 24, 2012
- 20 Boko Haram militants killed in Nigeria - Aug 13, 2012
- Nigeria terror attack toll rises to 162 - Jan 22, 2012
- Politician shot dead in Nigeria - May 26, 2012
Tags: chadian, exact number, explosive devices, extremists, foreign nationals, gujarat, hostilities, indian high commission, indians, kano, killings, mumbai, police commissioner, prasad, raj singh, rajput, state police, suicide missions, terror attack, xinhua